The Transitory VAT Cut in the UK: A Dynamic General Equilibrium Analysis
AbstractThis paper studies the macroeconomic effects of the transitory Value Added Tax (VAT) cut in the UK using a dynamic general equilibrium approach. The temporary VAT cut policy was announced on 24 November 2008, and was due to come into effect on 1 December 2008, with VAT reverting to its previous level as from 1 January 2010. We quantify the effects of that temporary fiscal stimulus policy on the key aggregate variables of the UK economy and on tax revenues. Overall, we obtain that this policy is too temporary to have important quantitative effects on the economy but qualitative effects are of great interest. We show that the temporary VAT cut will generate an overshooting effect on key macroeconomic variables, and will provoke a significant reduction in investment. Consumption and output will increase during the VAT cut, but they will decrease below their steady state values after VAT reverts to the previous level. Our model economy also predicts that fiscal revenues will decrease about three per cent during the VAT cut. Finally, we find that the VAT cut policy would have provided better results if it had been announced earlier.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economic Issues in its journal Economic Issues.
Volume (Year): 16 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J., 1990.
"Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth,"
3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S103-26, October.
- Barro, R.J., 1988. "Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth," RCER Working Papers 130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Barro, 1988. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas F. Crossley & Hamish Low & Matthew Wakefield, 2009.
"The Economics of a Temporary VAT Cut,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 30(1), pages 3-16, 03.
- repec:nsr:niesrd:325 is not listed on IDEAS
- Glomm, Gerhard & Ravikumar, B., 1994. "Public investment in infrastructure in a simple growth model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 1173-1187, November.
- Jan-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 1997. "Tax structure and welfare in a model of optimal fiscal policy," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q I, pages 11-23.
- Ray Barrell & Tatiana Fic & Iana Liadze, 2009. "Fiscal Policy Effectiveness in the Banking Crisis," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 207(1), pages 43-50, January.
- Ray Barrell & Martin Weale, 2009. "The Economics of a Reduction in VAT," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 30(1), pages 17-30, 03.
- David Carey & Josette Rabesona, 2002. "Tax Ratios on Labour and Capital Income and on Consumption," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2002(2), pages 129-174.
- Baxter, Marianne & King, Robert G, 1993.
"Fiscal Policy in General Equilibrium,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 315-34, June.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Richard Blundell, 2009. "Assessing the Temporary VAT Cut Policy in the UK," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 30(1), pages 31-38, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dan Wheatley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.