Selecting partners for successful international alliances: Examination of U.S. and Korean firms
AbstractManagers have found strategic alliances to be useful in entering international markets. Nonetheless, recent history suggests that international strategic alliances have a high likelihood of failure. To decrease this probability, managers must prepare their firm to collaborate. This requires understanding their partners' objectives as well as the criteria used by their partners in selecting collaborators. We examine partner selection criteria employed by managers from U.S. and Korean firms. We find significant differences and similarities in the characteristics sought for alliance partners between U.S. and Korean managers. Understanding these criteria prior to alliance formation can increase the likelihood of alliance success.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 32 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arvind Parkhe, 1991. "Interfirm Diversity, Organizational Learning, and Longevity in Global Strategic Alliances," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(4), pages 579-601, December.
- Büyüközkan, Gülçin & Feyzioglu, Orhan & Nebol, Erdal, 2008. "Selection of the strategic alliance partner in logistics value chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 148-158, May.
- Griffith, David A., 2011. "Insights into gaining access to export financing: Understanding export lenders' ideal exporter profile," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 84-92, January.
- Feng, Bo & Fan, Zhi-Ping & Ma, Jian, 2010. "A method for partner selection of codevelopment alliances using individual and collaborative utilities," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 159-170, March.
- Lei, David & Slocum, John W. & Pitts, Robert A., 1997. "Building cooperative advantage: Managing strategic alliances to promote organizational learning," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 203-223, October.
- Wang, Pien & Hou Wee, Chow & Hiong Koh, Peck, 1999. "Establishing a successful Sino-foreign equity joint venture: the Singapore experience," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 287-305, October.
- Chen, Homin & Chen, Tain-Jy, 2002. "Asymmetric strategic alliances: A network view," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(12), pages 1007-1013, December.
- Chand, Mohinder & Katou, Anastasia A., 2012. "Strategic determinants for the selection of partner alliances in the Indian tour operator industry: A cross-national study," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 167-177.
- Wu, Chong & Barnes, David, 2010. "Formulating partner selection criteria for agile supply chains: A Dempster-Shafer belief acceptability optimisation approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(2), pages 284-293, June.
- B.M. Sadowski. & G.M. Duysters & G.Sadowski-Rasters, 2005.
"On the termination of strategic technology alliances: An exploratory study,"
Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series
05.12, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- B.M. Sadowski. & G.M. Duysters & G.Sadowski-Rasters, 2005. "On the termination of strategic technology alliances: An exploratory study," Working Papers 05.12, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Belderbos, Rene & Gilsing, Victor & Jacob, Jojo, 2011. "Technology alliances in emerging economies: Persistence and interrelation in European firms' alliance formation," MERIT Working Papers 026, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Matthias Bürger, 2011. "Dynamics of Collaborative Invention Tracking Growth of Cooperative and Total Patents in the Region," Jena Economic Research Papers 2011-045, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Danskin, Paula & Dibrell, Clay & Kedia, Ben L., 2005. "The evolving role of cooperation among multinational corporations and indigenous organizations in transition economies: A migration away from confrontation," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 223-234, August.
- Hajidimitriou, Yannis A. & Georgiou, Andreas C., 2002. "A goal programming model for partner selection decisions in international joint ventures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(3), pages 649-662, May.
- Li, Jiatao & Xin, Katherine R. & Tsui, Anne & Hambrick, Donald C., 1999. "Building effective international joint venture leadership teams in China," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 52-68, April.
- Pesämaa, Ossi, 2007. "Development of relationships in interorganizational networks: studies in the tourism and construction industries," MPRA Paper 8478, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabio Sorrentino & Francesco Garraffo, 2012. "Explaining performing R&D through alliances: Implications for the business model of Italian dedicated biotech firms," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 449-475, August.
- Dong, Li & Glaister, Keith W., 2006. "Motives and partner selection criteria in international strategic alliances: Perspectives of Chinese firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 577-600, December.
- Hoon-Halbauer, Sing Keow, 1999. "Managing relationships within sino-foreign joint ventures," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 344-371, January.
- Zeng, Ming, 2003. "Managing the cooperative dilemma of joint ventures: the role of structural factors," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 95-113.
- Wright, Mike & Filatotchev, Igor & Buck, Trevor & Bishop, Kate, 2002. "Foreign partners in the Former Soviet Union," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 165-179, October.
- Blanchot, Fabien, 2006. "Alliances et performances : un essai de synthèse," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2221, Paris Dauphine University.
- Duysters, Geert & Saebi, Tina & Dong, Qinqin, 2007. "Strategic Partnering with Chinese Companies: Hidden Motives and Treasures," MERIT Working Papers 034, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Duysters, G.M. & Heimeriks, K.H., 2002.
"The influence of alliance capabilities on alliance performance: an empirical investigation,"
02.08, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Duysters, G.M. & Heimeriks, K.H., 2002. "The influence of alliance capabilities on alliance performance: an empirical investigation," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 02.08, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.