Positional goods, conspicuous consumption and the international demonstration effect reconsidered
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 15 (1987)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
Other versions of this item:
- James, M.J., 1987. "Positional goods, conspicuous consumption and the international demonstration effect reconsidered," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-176680, Tilburg University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Juliet Schor, 1998. "A Structural Critique of Consumption: Inequality, Globalization and the Aspirational Gap," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-1998-17, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Chao, A. & Schor, J.B., 1996. "Empirical tests of status consumption : evidence from women's cosmetics," WORC Paper 7, Tilburg University, Work and Organization Research Centre.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Johansson-Stenman, Olof, 2012.
"When Samuelson met Veblen abroad: National and global public good provision when social comparisons matter,"
Working Papers in Economics
538, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Johansson-Stenman, Olof, 2012. "When Samuelson Met Veblen Abroad: National and Global Public Good Provision when Social Comparisons Matter," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 843, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Lohmann, Steffen, 2013. "Information technologies and subjective well-being: Do material aspirations rise?," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79708, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Luuk Van Kempen, 2003. "Fooling the eye of the beholder: deceptive status signalling among the poor in developing countries," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 157-177.
- Lohmann, Steffen, 2013. "Information technologies and subjective well-being: Does the internet raise material aspirations?," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 169, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Solnick, Sara J. & Hong, Li & Hemenway, David, 2007. "Positional goods in the United States and China," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 537-545, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.