Singapore's motor vehicle policy: Review of recent changes and a suggested alternative
AbstractThis paper reviews recent developments in motor vehicle policy in Singapore, viz. the motor vehicle quota and weekend car schemes as well as regulations on cars entering and leaving Singapore. The adoption of a vehicle quota system over and above tax restraints on car ownership has made the job of the planner easier but has resulted in a great deal of price uncertainty in the motor vehicle market. The attendant result of price uncertainty has been speculation or rent seeking, necessitating several adjustments to the rules for the vehicle quota scheme in an attempt to counter speculation. This paper proposes that the object of bidding should be changed from that of a right to purchase a new car to that of a car ownership right. This will eradicate the problem of speculation as well as problems faced by firms in the motor vehicle distribution industry arising from the implementation of the current quota system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 27 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sing-Fat Chu & Winston T.H. Koh & Yiu Kuen Tse, 2003.
"Expectations Formation and Forecasting of Vehicle Demand: An Empirical Study of the Vehicle Quota Auctions in Singapore,"
02-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Chu, Sing-Fat & Koh, Winston T. H. & Tse, Yiu Kuen, 2004. "Expectations formation and forecasting of vehicle demand: an empirical study of the vehicle quota auctions in Singapore," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 367-381, June.
- Cameron, I. & Lyons, T. J. & Kenworthy, J. R., 2004. "Trends in vehicle kilometres of travel in world cities, 1960-1990: underlying drivers and policy responses," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 287-298, July.
- Winston T.H. Koh, 2003.
"Congestion Control and Vehicle Ownership Restriction: The Choice of an Optimal Quota Policy,"
03-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Winston T.H. Koh, 2004. "Congestion Control and Vehicle Ownership Restriction: The Choice of an Optimal Quota Policy," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(3), pages 371-402, September.
- Kenworthy, Jeffrey R. & Laube, Felix B., 1999. "Patterns of automobile dependence in cities: an international overview of key physical and economic dimensions with some implications for urban policy," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 33(7-8), pages 691-723.
- Winston Koh & Roberto Mariano & Yiu Kuen Tse, 2007. "Open vs. sealed-bid auctions: testing for revenue equivalence under Singapore's vehicle quota system," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 125-134.
- Piotr Olszewski, 2007. "Singapore motorisation restraint and its implications on travel behaviour and urban sustainability," Transportation, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 319-335, May.
- Chu, Singfat, 2012. "Allocation flexibility and price efficiency within Singapore’s Vehicle Quota System," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1541-1550.
- Singfat Chu, 2011. "Sealed v/s open bids for certificates of entitlement under the vehicle quota system in Singapore," Transportation, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 215-226, March.
- Koh, Winston T. H., 2003. "Control of vehicle ownership and market competition: theory and Singapore's experience with the vehicle quota system," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 749-770, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.