A note on the Vogelsang test for additive outliers
AbstractThe role of additive outliers in integrated time series has attracted some attention recently and research shows that outlier detection should be an integral part of unit root testing procedures. Recently, Vogelsang [1999. Two simple procedures for testing for a unit root when there are additive outliers. J. Time Ser. Anal. 20, 237-52] suggested an iterative procedure for the detection of multiple additive outliers in integrated time series. However, the procedure appears to suffer from serious size distortions towards the finding of too many outliers as has been shown by Perron and Rodriguez [2003. Searching for additive outliers in nonstationary time series. J. Time Ser. Anal. 24, 193-220] In this note we prove the inconsistency of the test in each step of the iterative procedure and hence alternative routes need to be taken to detect outliers in nonstationary time series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 78 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Other versions of this item:
- Niels Haldrup & Andreu Sansó, 2006. "A Note on the Vogelsang Test for Additive Outliers," Economics Working Papers 2006-01, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perron, P. & Rodriguez, G., 2000.
"Seraching for Additive Outliers in Nonstationary Time Series,"
0005e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Pierre Perron & Gabriel RodrÌguez, 2003. "Searching For Additive Outliers In Nonstationary Time Series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(2), pages 193-220, 03.
- Haldrup, Niels Prof. & Montanes, Antonio & SansÃ³, Andreu, 2000.
"Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt0gw7q9hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Haldrup, Niels & Montanes, Antonio & Sanso, Andreu, 2005. "Measurement errors and outliers in seasonal unit root testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 103-128, July.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montanés & Andreu Sanso, . "Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing," Economics Working Papers 2000-8, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montañés & Andreu Sansó, 2004.
"Testing for Additive Outliers in Seasonally Integrated Time Series,"
Economics Working Papers
2004-14, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montañés & Andreu Sansó, 2005. "Testing for Additive Outliers in Seasonally Integrated Time Series," DEA Working Papers 15, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Haldrup, Niels, 1994. "The Effects of Additive Outliers on Tests for Unit Roots and Cointegration," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 471-78, October.
- repec:aah:aarhec:2005-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olivier Darné & Amélie Charles, 2009.
"Large shocks in U.S. macroeconomic time series: 1860–1988,"
- Olivier Darné & Amélie Charles, 2011. "Large shocks in U.S. macroeconomic time series: 1860-1988," Cliometrica, Journal of Historical Economics and Econometric History, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 5(1), pages 79-100, January.
- Haldrup Niels & Montañes Antonio & Sansó Andreu, 2011.
"Detection of Additive Outliers in Seasonal Time Series,"
Journal of Time Series Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-20, April.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montañés & Andreu Sansó, 2009. "Detection of additive outliers in seasonal time series," CREATES Research Papers 2009-40, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Olivier Darne & Amélie Charles, 2011. "Large shocks in U.S. macroeconomic time series: 1860-1988," Post-Print hal-00771828, HAL.
- Charles, Amélie & Darné, Olivier, 2012. "Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series: A reappraisal," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 167-180.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.