Nonparametric density estimation for stratified samples
AbstractWe consider a weighted, nonparametric density estimator for stratified samples. We derive the optimal bandwidth using information on within-stratum variances and means. We provide a plug-in bandwidth when all strata are normally distributed. We show that the optimal sampling scheme is stratified sampling proportional to size, irrespective of the stratum-specific densities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 78 (2008)
Issue (Month): 14 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Other versions of this item:
- Robert Breunig, 2001. "Nonparametric Density Estimation for Stratified Samples," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2005-459, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics, revised Nov 2005.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Breunig, 2001. "Density Estimation For Clustered Data," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 353-367.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521355643, December.
- Daniel J. Henderson & Christopher F. Parmeter & R. Robert Russell, 2008. "Modes, weighted modes, and calibrated modes: evidence of clustering using modality tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(5), pages 607-638.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.