Correcting size distortion of the Dickey-Fuller test via recursive mean adjustment
AbstractLeybourne et al. (J. Econom. 87 (1998) 191) have shown the Dickey-Fuller (J. Amer. Statist. Assoc. 74 (1979) 427) unit root test to suffer from severe oversizing in the presence of level breaks. In this paper it is shown that recursive mean adjustment can correct this distortion, even for large breaks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 60 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1998.
"Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests,"
The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies,
University of Manchester, vol. 66(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1994. "Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests," Working Papers 903, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989.
"The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Perron, P, 1988. "The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis," Papers 338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, P., 1989.
"Testing For A Unit Root In A Time Series With A Changing Mean,"
347, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1990. "Testing for a Unit Root in a Time Series with a Changing Mean," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 153-62, April.
- Bai, Jushan & Lumsdaine, Robin L & Stock, James H, 1998.
"Testing for and Dating Common Breaks in Multivariate Time Series,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 395-432, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate Bai, Lumsdaine, Stock common breaks in VAR," Statistical Software Components RTZ00171, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pantula, Sastry G & Gonzalez-Farias, Graciela & Fuller, Wayne A, 1994. "A Comparison of Unit-Root Test Criteria," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 449-59, October.
- Leybourne, Stephen J. & C. Mills, Terence & Newbold, Paul, 1998. "Spurious rejections by Dickey-Fuller tests in the presence of a break under the null," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 191-203, August.
- Meng, Ming & Lee, Hyejin & Cho, Myeong Hyeon & Lee, Junsoo, 2013. "Impacts of the initial observation on unit root tests using recursive demeaning and detrending procedures," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 195-199.
- Hyeongwoo Kim & Nazif Durmaz, 2010.
"Bias Correction and Out-of-Sample Forecast Accuracy,"
Auburn Economics Working Paper Series
auwp2010-02, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Durmaz, Nazif, 2012. "Bias correction and out-of-sample forecast accuracy," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 575-586.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Durmaz, Nazif, 2009. "Bias Correction and Out-of-Sample Forecast Accuracy," MPRA Paper 16780, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Moh, Young-Kyu, 2012.
"Examining the evidence of purchasing power parity by recursive mean adjustment,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1850-1857.
- Hyeongwoo Kim & Young-Kyu Moh, 2010. "Examining the Evidence of Purchasing Power Parity by Recursive Mean Adjustment," Auburn Economics Working Paper Series auwp2010-08, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Moh, Young-Kyu, 2010. "Examining the Evidence of Purchasing Power Parity by Recursive Mean Adjustment," MPRA Paper 22712, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cook, Steven & Vougas, Dimitrios, 2004. "On the finite-sample size distortion of smooth transition unit root tests," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 175-182, December.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.