Examining fan motives and loyalty for the Chinese Professional Baseball League of Taiwan
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to examine social motivations of Chinese Professional Baseball League (CPBL) consumers and their relationships with fan loyalty. A questionnaire was developed based on the Sport Interest Inventory (SII) (Funk, Ridinger, & Moorman, 2003) with proper modification to measure the unique market environment of the CPBL. The final questionnaire included a total of 18 fan motives, two loyalty constructs (attitudinal and behavioural domains), and demographic variables. Research participants (N=346) were CPBL consumers, who voluntarily responded to an on-line survey. The result of a confirmatory factor analysis revealed a strong psychometrical property of the SII. The result of structural equation modeling indicated strong predicting power of fan motives on fan loyalty. Discussions are presented with regard to theoretical relevance and managerial practice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Sport Management Review.
Volume (Year): 14 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Monle Lee & Anurag Pant & Abbas Ali, 2010. "Does the Individualist Consume More? The Interplay of Ethics and Beliefs that Governs Consumerism Across Cultures," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 93(4), pages 567-581, June.
- Funk, Daniel C. & James, Jeff, 2001. "The Psychological Continuum Model: A Conceptual Framework for Understanding an Individual's Psychological Connection to Sport," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 119-150, November.
- Geert Hofstede, 1983. "The Cultural Relativity of Organizational Practices and Theories," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 14(2), pages 75-89, June.
- Funk, Daniel C. & Ridinger, Lynn L. & Moorman, Anita M., 2003. "Understanding Consumer Support: Extending the Sport Interest Inventory (SII) to Examine Individual Differences among Women's Professional Sport Consumers," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-31, May.
- Mahony, Daniel F. & Nakazawa, Makoto & Funk, Daniel C. & James, Jeffrey D. & Gladden, James M., 2002. "Motivational Factors Influencing the Behaviour of J. League Spectators," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-24, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.