Analysis of changes in the structure of rural household energy consumption in northern China: A case study
AbstractThere is currently a paucity of research examining changes in the structure of household energy consumption in rural areas of northern China. Here, we thoroughly analyze household energy consumption in terms of energy sources and energy end-uses in villages of Huantai County from 1989 to 2005. Results indicated that commercial energy consumption increased, both in the absolute amount and the relative proportion. Non-commercial energy (traditional biomass energy) use decreased greatly but still accounted for a significant proportion of all energy sources. In terms of energy end-uses, cooking and home-heating energy consumptions were of nearly equal importance. While energy for cooking has historically dominated total consumption, energy used for recreational activities increased dramatically in comparison. In addition, we discuss the influence of changes in energy consumption structure on household energy expenditures, environmental effects and supply-demand balance of energy. Results showed the payout of household energy consumption was stable, the environment deteriorated, the fossil fuel supply was unsustainable in the long term. For the sustainable development of local energy sources, the environment, and the economy, it will be imperative to fully exploit suitable, local renewable energy resources.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
Volume (Year): 13 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rosas-Flores, Jorge Alberto & Morillón Gálvez, David & Fernández Zayas, José Luís, 2010. "Inequality in the distribution of expense allocated to the main energy fuels for Mexican households: 1968-2006," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 960-966, September.
- Saboori, Behnaz & Soleymani, Abdorreza, 2011. "Environmental Kuznets curve in Indonesia, the role of energy consumption and foreign trade," MPRA Paper 31534, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wang, Chengchao & Yang, Yusheng & Zhang, Yaoqi, 2012. "Rural household livelihood change, fuelwood substitution, and hilly ecosystem restoration: Evidence from China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 2475-2482.
- Fang, Yiping, 2011. "Economic welfare impacts from renewable energy consumption: The China experience," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(9), pages 5120-5128.
- Tu, Wubin & Zhang, LingXian & Zhou, Zhongren & Liu, Xue & Fu, Zetian, 2011. "The development of renewable energy in resource-rich region: A case in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 856-860, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.