The relationship between sustainable procurement and e-procurement in the public sector
AbstractThis study examines the relationship between sustainable procurement and e-procurement, two recent initiatives in public procurement in many countries. A survey of sustainable procurement and e-procurement adoption was conducted with a sample of over 280 public procurement practitioners from 20 countries and with collective responsibility for expenditure totalling $45 BN. Using multiple regression, we develop a model to show that e-procurement and communication with suppliers supports some types of sustainable procurement, and hinders others. E-procurement and communication with suppliers may help environmental, labour, health and safety aspects of sustainable procurement. Conversely, e-procurement may hinder buying from small local firms that are not e-enabled.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 140 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
E-procurement; Environmental issues; Public sector; Survey; Sustainable procurement; Supplier communication; Information technology;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- António Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2005.
"Public sector efficiency: An international comparison,"
Springer, vol. 123(3), pages 321-347, June.
- Afonso, António & Schuknecht, Ludger & Tanzi, Vito, 2003. "Public sector efficiency: an international comparison," Working Paper Series 0242, European Central Bank.
- Mitra, Supriya & Webster, Scott, 2008. "Competition in remanufacturing and the effects of government subsidies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 287-298, February.
- Mira Kartiwi & Robert C. MacGregor, 2007. "Electronic Commerce Adoption Barriers in Small to Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) in Developed and Developing Countries: A Cross-Country Comparison," Journal of Electronic Commerce in Organizations (JECO), IGI Global, vol. 5(3), pages 35-51, July.
- Joyce Thomson & Tim Jackson, 2007. "Sustainable procurement in practice: Lessons from local government," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 50(3), pages 421-444.
- Quariguasi Frota Neto, J. & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J.M. & van Nunen, J.A.E.E. & van Heck, H.W.G.M., 2006.
"Designing and Evaluating Sustainable Logistics Networks,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2006-003-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Frota Neto, J. Quariguasi & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J.M. & van Nunen, J.A.E.E. & van Heck, E., 2008. "Designing and evaluating sustainable logistics networks," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 195-208, February.
- Federico Trionfetti, 2000. "Discriminatory Public Procurement and International Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 57-76, 01.
- K. G. Willis, 2010. "Is All Sustainable Development Sustainable? A Cost-Benefit Analysis Of Some Procurement Projects," Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management (JEAPM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(03), pages 311-331.
- Roberta Sonnino, 2009. "Quality food, public procurement, and sustainable development: the school meal revolution in Rome," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 41(2), pages 425-440, February.
- Mark Hall & David Purchase, 2006. "Building or bodging? Attitudes to sustainability in UK public sector housing construction development," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 205-218.
- Piplani, Rajesh & Pujawan, Nyoman & Ray, Saibal, 2008. "Sustainable supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 193-194, February.
- Vachon, Stephan & Klassen, Robert D., 2008. "Environmental management and manufacturing performance: The role of collaboration in the supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 299-315, February.
- Kainuma, Yasutaka & Tawara, Nobuhiko, 2006. "A multiple attribute utility theory approach to lean and green supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 99-108, May.
- Brulhart, Marius & Trionfetti, Federico, 2004. "Public expenditure, international specialisation and agglomeration," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 851-881, August.
- G. F. Dawson & E. J. Probert, 2007. "A sustainable product needing a sustainable procurement commitment: the case of green waste in Wales," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 69-82.
- Panayiotou, Nikolaos A. & Gayialis, Sotiris P. & Tatsiopoulos, I.P.Ilias P., 2004. "An e-procurement system for governmental purchasing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 79-102, July.
- Zhu, Qinghua & Sarkis, Joseph & Lai, Kee-hung, 2008. "Confirmation of a measurement model for green supply chain management practices implementation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 261-273, February.
- Tarantini, Mario & Loprieno, Arianna Dominici & Porta, Pier Luigi, 2011. "A life cycle approach to Green Public Procurement of building materials and elements: A case study on windows," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 2473-2482.
- Yusuf, Yahaya Y. & Gunasekaran, A. & Musa, Ahmed & El-Berishy, Nagham M. & Abubakar, Tijjani & Ambursa, Hafsat M., 2013. "The UK oil and gas supply chains: An empirical analysis of adoption of sustainable measures and performance outcomes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 501-514.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.