Impact of government financial intervention on competition among green supply chains
AbstractThis work analyzes the effects of governmental financial intervention on green supply chain competition using a three-stage game-theoretic model. Nash equilibrium solutions for governmental and chain member decisions are derived. Analytical results suggest that the government should adopt green taxation and subsidization to ensure that green profit attributed to green-product production is non-negative. Strategically, low-wholesale-price strategies are suggested to recycled-component suppliers under green subsidization to stimulate manufacturers' intention of green product production under green taxation. Numerical results reveal that under equilibrium conditions, social welfare and chain-based profits improve by 27.8% and 306.6%, respectively, compared with the case without financial intervention.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 138 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Green supply chain management; Economic incentives; Game theory;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aksen, Deniz & Aras, Necati & Karaarslan, Ayse Gönül, 2009. "Design and analysis of government subsidized collection systems for incentive-dependent returns," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 308-327, June.
- Walls, Margaret & Palmer, Karen, 2001.
"Upstream Pollution, Downstream Waste Disposal, and the Design of Comprehensive Environmental Policies,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 94-108, January.
- Palmer, Karen & Walls, Margaret, 2000. "Upstream Pollution, Downstream Waste Disposal, and the Design of Comprehensive Environmental Policies," Discussion Papers dp-97-51-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Goulder, L.H., 1996.
"Optimal environmental taxation in the presence of other taxes: General equilibrium analyses,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-73560, Tilburg University.
- Bovenberg, A Lans & Goulder, Lawrence H, 1996. "Optimal Environmental Taxation in the Presence of Other Taxes: General-Equilibrium Analyses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 985-1000, September.
- A. Lans Bovenberg & Lawrence H. Goulder, 1994. "Optimal Environmental Taxation in the Presence of Other Taxes: General Equilibrium Analyses," NBER Working Papers 4897, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V. Daniel R. Guide , Jr. & Gilvan C. Souza & Luk N. Van Wassenhove & Joseph D. Blackburn, 2006. "Time Value of Commercial Product Returns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(8), pages 1200-1214, August.
- Geraldo Ferrer & Jayashankar M. Swaminathan, 2006. "Managing New and Remanufactured Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(1), pages 15-26, January.
- Don Fullerton & Wenbo Wu, 1996.
"Policies for Green Design,"
NBER Working Papers
5594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roland Geyer & Luk N. Van Wassenhove & Atalay Atasu, 2007. "The Economics of Remanufacturing Under Limited Component Durability and Finite Product Life Cycles," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(1), pages 88-100, January.
- R. Canan Savaskan & Shantanu Bhattacharya & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2004. "Closed-Loop Supply Chain Models with Product Remanufacturing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(2), pages 239-252, February.
- Dinan Terry M., 1993. "Economic Efficiency Effects of Alternative Policies for Reducing Waste Disposal," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 242-256, November.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & Van Long, Ngo, 2002. "On the multiplicity of efficiency-inducing tax rules," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 331-336, August.
- Laurens G. Debo & L. Beril Toktay & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2005. "Market Segmentation and Product Technology Selection for Remanufacturable Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(8), pages 1193-1205, August.
- Fleischmann, Moritz & Kuik, Roelof & Dekker, Rommert, 2002. "Controlling inventories with stochastic item returns: A basic model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 63-75, April.
- Mitra, Supriya & Webster, Scott, 2008. "Competition in remanufacturing and the effects of government subsidies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 287-298, February.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Zhu, Qinghua & Lai, Kee-hung, 2011. "An organizational theoretic review of green supply chain management literature," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 1-15, March.
- van der Laan, Erwin & Salomon, Marc & Dekker, Rommert, 1999. "An investigation of lead-time effects in manufacturing/remanufacturing systems under simple PUSH and PULL control strategies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 195-214, May.
- R. Canan Savaskan & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2006. "Reverse Channel Design: The Case of Competing Retailers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Chung, Chun-Jen & Wee, Hui-Ming, 2011. "Short life-cycle deteriorating product remanufacturing in a green supply chain inventory control system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 195-203, January.
- V. Daniel R. Guide, Jr. & Ruud H. Teunter & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2003. "Matching Demand and Supply to Maximize Profits from Remanufacturing," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(4), pages 303-316, October.
- Vachon, Stephan & Klassen, Robert D., 2008. "Environmental management and manufacturing performance: The role of collaboration in the supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 299-315, February.
- Georgiadis, Patroklos & Vlachos, Dimitrios, 2004. "The effect of environmental parameters on product recovery," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 449-464, September.
- Chu, Wan-wen, 2009. "Can Taiwan's second movers upgrade via branding?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1054-1065, July.
- Ulph, Alistair, 1996. "Environmental Policy and International Trade when Governments and Producers Act Strategically," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 265-281, May.
- Sir Nicholas Stern, 2006. "What is the Economics of Climate Change?," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 7(2), pages 1-10, April.
- Min, Hokey & Ko, Hyun-Jeung, 2008. "The dynamic design of a reverse logistics network from the perspective of third-party logistics service providers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 176-192, May.
- Ian M. Dobbs, 1991. "Litter and Waste Management: Disposal Taxes versus User Charges," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 221-27, February.
- Chen, Jen-Ming & Chang, Chia-I, 2013. "Dynamic pricing for new and remanufactured products in a closed-loop supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 153-160.
- Jiuh-Biing Sheu, 2014. "Green Supply Chain Collaboration for Fashionable Consumer Electronics Products under Third-Party Power Intervention—A Resource Dependence Perspective," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(5), pages 2832-2875, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.