Coordination of a supply chain with consumer return under demand uncertainty
AbstractThis paper investigates coordination of a supply chain consisting of one manufacturer and one retailer facing consumer return. We integrate consumer returns policy and manufacturer buyback policy within a modeling framework and explicitly model the positive effect of refund amount on demand and its negative effect on the probability that consumers keep the products. We design a buyback/markdown money contract to coordinate the supply chain under partial refund policy and find that the refund amount plays an important role in the decisions and profitability of the players. In the coordinated setting with given buyback price, the refund amount first increases the players' expected profits/quantity, and then decreases them. When the risk (variance) of the consumer's valuation increases, the manufacturer may raise the unit wholesale price to achieve a higher unit profit. The supply chain is better off using full refund policy if the risk is very small; otherwise, the supply chain prefers no returns policy. The results of this paper are robust to distribution form.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 124 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Supply chain coordination Consumer return Buyback contract Robustness Game theory;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mostard, Julien & Teunter, Ruud, 2006. "The newsboy problem with resalable returns: A single period model and case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(1), pages 81-96, February.
- Barry Alan Pasternack, 1985. "Optimal Pricing and Return Policies for Perishable Commodities," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 166-176.
- James D. Dana, Jr. & Nicholas C. Petruzzi, 2001. "Note: The Newsvendor Model with Endogenous Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(11), pages 1488-1497, November.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Li, Duan & Yan, Houmin, 2004. "Optimal returns policy for supply chain with e-marketplace," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 205-227, March.
- Jinhong Xie & Steven M. Shugan, 2001. "Electronic Tickets, Smart Cards, and Online Prepayments: When and How to Advance Sell," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(3), pages 219-243, June.
- Hamilton Emmons & Stephen M. Gilbert, 1998. "Note. The Role of Returns Policies in Pricing and Inventory Decisions for Catalogue Goods," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(2), pages 276-283, February.
- Sridhar Moorthy & Kannan Srinivasan, 1995. "Signaling Quality with a Money-Back Guarantee: The Role of Transaction Costs," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(4), pages 442-466.
- Che, Yeon-Koo, 1996.
"Customer Return Policies for Experience Goods,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 17-24, March.
- Kandel, Eugene, 1996. "The Right to Return," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(1), pages 329-56, April.
- Yossi Aviv & Amit Pazgal, 2008. "Optimal Pricing of Seasonal Products in the Presence of Forward-Looking Consumers," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 339-359, December.
- Xuanming Su, 2007. "Intertemporal Pricing with Strategic Customer Behavior," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(5), pages 726-741, May.
- Wang, Yulan & Zipkin, Paul, 2009. "Agents' incentives under buy-back contracts in a two-stage supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 525-539, August.
- Terry A. Taylor, 2002. "Supply Chain Coordination Under Channel Rebates with Sales Effort Effects," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(8), pages 992-1007, August.
- Arcelus, F.J. & Kumar, Satyendra & Srinivasan, G., 2008. "Evaluating manufacturer's buyback policies in a single-period two-echelon framework under price-dependent stochastic demand," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 808-824, October.
- Fleischmann, Moritz & Kuik, Roelof & Dekker, Rommert, 2002. "Controlling inventories with stochastic item returns: A basic model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 63-75, April.
- Wong, W.K. & Qi, J. & Leung, S.Y.S., 2009. "Coordinating supply chains with sales rebate contracts and vendor-managed inventory," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 151-161, July.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Li, Duan & Yan, Houmin, 2008. "Mean-variance analysis of a single supplier and retailer supply chain under a returns policy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(1), pages 356-376, January.
- Karen L. Donohue, 2000. "Efficient Supply Contracts for Fashion Goods with Forecast Updating and Two Production Modes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(11), pages 1397-1411, November.
- Gregory A. DeCroix & Paul H. Zipkin, 2005. "Inventory Management for an Assembly System with Product or Component Returns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(8), pages 1250-1265, August.
- V. Daniel R. Guide , Jr. & Gilvan C. Souza & Luk N. Van Wassenhove & Joseph D. Blackburn, 2006. "Time Value of Commercial Product Returns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(8), pages 1200-1214, August.
- Chen, Jing & Bell, Peter C., 2012. "Implementing market segmentation using full-refund and no-refund customer returns policies in a dual-channel supply chain structure," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 56-66.
- Huang, Ximin & Choi, Sin-Man & Ching, Wai-Ki & Siu, Tak-Kuen & Huang, Min, 2011. "On supply chain coordination for false failure returns: A quantity discount contract approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 634-644, October.
- Chen, Jing & Grewal, Ravneet, 2013. "Competing in a supply chain via full-refund and no-refund customer returns policies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 246-258.
- Liu, Jian & Mantin, Benny & Wang, Haiyan, 2014. "Supply chain coordination with customer returns and refund-dependent demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 148(C), pages 81-89.
- Dass, Mayukh & Fox, Gavin L., 2011. "A holistic network model for supply chain analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 587-594, June.
- Arcelus, F.J. & Gor, Ravi & Srinivasan, G., 2012. "Price, rebate and order quantity decisions in a newsvendor framework with rebate-dependent recapture of lost sales," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 473-482.
- Xu, Guangye & Dan, Bin & Zhang, Xumei & Liu, Can, 2014. "Coordinating a dual-channel supply chain with risk-averse under a two-way revenue sharing contract," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 147(PA), pages 171-179.
- Saha, Subrata, 2013. "Supply chain coordination through rebate induced contracts," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 120-137.
- Shen, Yuelin & Willems, Sean P., 2012. "Coordinating a channel with asymmetric cost information and the manufacturer's optimality," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 125-135.
- Hu, Fei & Lim, Cheng-Chew & Lu, Zudi, 2013. "Coordination of supply chains with a flexible ordering policy under yield and demand uncertainty," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 686-693.
- Wu, Jun & Wang, Shouyang & Chao, Xiuli & Ng, C.T. & Cheng, T.C.E., 2010. "Impact of risk aversion on optimal decisions in supply contracts," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(2), pages 569-576, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.