A paradigm for examining second-order factor models employing structural equation modeling
AbstractWe present here a paradigm for assessing second-order measurement models. Our approach is hierarchical in nature. We discuss the need for higher-order models from a conceptual perspective and illustrate how some common challenges in empirical research can be resolved through the deployment of higher-order modeling. Essentially, we argue that many constructs can be meaningfully described by a higher-order structure and testing for the existence of such structures requires a careful examination of alternative models. There is a need for conceptual as well as empirical support. In order to demonstrate our paradigm, we use data that relate to airline service quality. Our sample includes two databases. Responses from 170 individuals are employed for exploratory purposes and responses from 437 individuals are used for subsequent data analyses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 120 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Research methodology Second-order factor Measurement models Structural equation modeling Service quality Airlines;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liljeblom, Eva & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2009. "Corporate ownership and managerial short-termism: Results from a Finnish study of management perceptions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 427-438, February.
- Pal, Raktim & Busing, Michael E., 2008. "Teaching operations management in an integrated format: Student perception and faculty experience," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 594-610, October.
- Thun, Jörn-Henrik, 2008. "Empirical analysis of manufacturing strategy implementation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 370-382, May.
- Koufteros, Xenophon & Marcoulides, George A., 2006. "Product development practices and performance: A structural equation modeling-based multi-group analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 286-307, September.
- Jarvis, Cheryl Burke & MacKenzie, Scott B & Podsakoff, Philip M, 2003. " A Critical Review of Construct Indicators and Measurement Model Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Zhang, Xiang & Chen, Rongqiu, 2008. "Examining the mechanism of the value co-creation with customers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 242-250, December.
- Farris, Jennifer A. & Van Aken, Eileen M. & Doolen, Toni L. & Worley, June, 2009. "Critical success factors for human resource outcomes in Kaizen events: An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 42-65, January.
- McFadden, K. L., 1996. "Comparing pilot-error accident rates of male and female airline pilots," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 443-450, August.
- Barber, Brad M & Darrough, Masako N, 1996. "Product Reliability and Firm Value: The Experience of American and Japanese Automakers, 1973-1992," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(5), pages 1084-99, October.
- Trienekens, Jacques & Zuurbier, Peter, 2008. "Quality and safety standards in the food industry, developments and challenges," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 107-122, May.
- Diamantopoulos, Adamantios & Riefler, Petra & Roth, Katharina P., 2008. "Advancing formative measurement models," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1203-1218, December.
- Vaagen, Hajnalka & Wallace, Stein W., 2008. "Product variety arising from hedging in the fashion supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 431-455, August.
- Li-Yueh Lee & Veasna Sou, 2013. "The Antecedents of Expatriates’ Creative Engagement," Diversity, Technology, and Innovation for Operational Competitiveness: Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Technology Innovation and Industrial Management, ToKnowPress.
- Yee, Rachel W.Y. & Yeung, Andy C.L. & Edwin Cheng, T.C., 2010. "An empirical study of employee loyalty, service quality and firm performance in the service industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 109-120, March.
- Li-Yueh Lee & Veasna Sou, 2013. "The Antecedents of Innovation Climate: Cross-Level Mediation Perspectives," Diversity, Technology, and Innovation for Operational Competitiveness: Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Technology Innovation and Industrial Management, ToKnowPress.
- García-Morales, Víctor Jesús & Jiménez-Barrionuevo, María Magdalena & Gutiérrez-Gutiérrez, Leopoldo, 2012. "Transformational leadership influence on organizational performance through organizational learning and innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(7), pages 1040-1050.
- Mihi Ramírez, Antonio, 2012. "Product return and logistics knowledge: Influence on performance of the firm," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1137-1151.
- Yee, Rachel W.Y. & Yeung, Andy C.L. & Cheng, T.C.E., 2011. "The service-profit chain: An empirical analysis in high-contact service industries," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 236-245, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.