Quality and safety standards in the food industry, developments and challenges
AbstractConsumer concerns related to food safety scandals and globalization of food production have resulted in a global and interconnected system for the production and distribution of food. In the last decade many public and private standards on food safety and quality have been developed as a result of these developments. Currently, there is proliferation of standards worldwide. One effect is that, in particular, companies from developing countries and emerging economies have problems to comply with these standards. Another important effect is increasing marginal costs of certification and accreditation, which also puts pressure on company profits in industrialized countries. The combined impacts of these effects ask for strategies to revalue the cost/effectiveness of the certification and accreditation system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 113 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holleran, Erin & Bredahl, Maury E. & Zaibet, Lokman, 1999. "Private incentives for adopting food safety and quality assurance," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 669-683, December.
- Capmany, Carlos & Hooker, Neal H. & Ozuna, Teofilo, Jr. & van Tilburg, Aad, 2000. "Iso 9000 -- A Marketing Tool For U.S. Agribusiness," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 3(01).
- Giovannucci, Daniele & Reardon, Thomas, 2000. "Understanding Grades and Standards: and how to apply them," MPRA Paper 13549, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Willem Ziggers, Gerrit & Trienekens, Jacques, 1999. "Quality assurance in food and agribusiness supply chains: Developing successful partnerships," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 271-279, April.
- Unnevehr, Laurian J., 2000. "Food safety issues and fresh food product exports from LDCs," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 231-240, September.
- Resende-Filho, Moises & Buhr, Brian, 2007.
"Economics of traceability for mitigation of food recall costs,"
3650, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Resende Filho, Moises de Andrade & Buhr, Brian L., 2012. "Economics of Traceability for Mitigation of Food Recall Costs," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126193, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Soysal, Mehmet & Bloemhof, Jacqueline M. & van der Vorst, Jack G.A.J., 2012. "A Review of Quantitative Models for Sustainable Food Logistics Management: Challenges and Issues," 2012 International European Forum, February 13-17, 2012, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 144974, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Yu, Min & Nagurney, Anna, 2013. "Competitive food supply chain networks with application to fresh produce," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(2), pages 273-282.
- Soysal, Mehmet & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline.M. & Meuwissen, Miranda P.M. & van der Vorst, Jack G.A.J., 2012. "A Review on Quantitative Models for Sustainable Food Logistics Management," International Journal on Food System Dynamics, International Center for Management, Communication, and Research, vol. 3(2).
- Han, Jiqin & Trienekens, Jacques H. & (Onno) Omta, S.W.F., 2011. "Relationship and quality management in the Chinese pork supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 312-321, December.
- Fritz, Melanie & Schiefer, Gerhard, 2009. "Tracking, tracing, and business process interests in food commodities: A multi-level decision complexity," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 317-329, February.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Jianyu, Yu, 2013. "Production Standards, Competition and Vertical Relationship," TSE Working Papers 13-417, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Jan Mei Soon & Richard N. Baines, 2013. "Public and Private Food Safety Standards: Facilitating or Frustrating Fresh Produce Growers?," Laws, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Babic, Zoran & Peric, Tunjo, 2011. "Optimization of livestock feed blend by use of goal programming," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 218-223, April.
- Koufteros, Xenophon & Babbar, Sunil & Kaighobadi, Mehdi, 2009. "A paradigm for examining second-order factor models employing structural equation modeling," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 633-652, August.
- Rong, Aiying & Akkerman, Renzo & Grunow, Martin, 2011. "An optimization approach for managing fresh food quality throughout the supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 421-429, May.
- Doudja Saïdi-Kabèche & Marie-Hélène Vergote, 2012. "Proposition d'un cadre conceptuel pour la gestion du risque sanitaire des aliments dans les industries agroalimentaires," INRA UMR CESAER Working Papers 2012/4, INRA UMR CESAER, Centre d’Economie et Sociologie appliquées à l’Agriculture et aux Espaces Ruraux.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.