The impact of IT implementation on supply chain integration and performance
AbstractThe implementation of information technology (IT) for supply chain management (SCM) is becoming more and more important in the context of an increasingly globalized and competitive economy. IT, by providing timely, accurate, and reliable information, has greatly improved supply chain performance (SCP). This study aims to investigate the relationship among three factors: IT implementation, supply chain integration (SCI), and SCP. It presents a conceptual structure model in which IT implementation can affect SCP either directly or indirectly, via SCI. Data collected from 182 Chinese companies are analyzed using structural equation modeling. The results suggest that IT implementation has no direct effect on SCP, but instead that it enhances SCP through its positive effect on SCI. These findings highlight the importance for companies to promote SCI and implement IT as an enabler.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 120 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
IT implementation Supply chain integration Empirical study;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susan Cohen Kulp & Hau L. Lee & Elie Ofek, 2004. "Manufacturer Benefits from Information Integration with Retail Customers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(4), pages 431-444, April.
- Olhager, Jan & Selldin, Erik, 2004. "Supply chain management survey of Swedish manufacturing firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 353-361, June.
- Anandhi S. Bharadwaj & Sundar G. Bharadwaj & Benn R. Konsynski, 1999. "Information Technology Effects on Firm Performance as Measured by Tobin's q," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 1008-1024, July.
- N. Venkatraman, 1989. "Strategic Orientation of Business Enterprises: The Construct, Dimensionality, and Measurement," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(8), pages 942-962, August.
- Hau L. Lee & V. Padmanabhan & Seungjin Whang, 1997. "Information Distortion in a Supply Chain: The Bullwhip Effect," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(4), pages 546-558, April.
- Seggie, Steven H. & Kim, Daekwan & Cavusgil, S.Tamer, 2006. "Do supply chain IT alignment and supply chain interfirm system integration impact upon brand equity and firm performance?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 887-895, August.
- Greg M. Allenby & Peter E. Rossi, 1991. "Quality Perceptions and Asymmetric Switching Between Brands," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 185-204.
- Koh, S.C. Lenny & Saad, Sameh M., 2006. "Managing uncertainty in ERP-controlled manufacturing environments in SMEs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 109-127, May.
- Yossi Aviv, 2001. "The Effect of Collaborative Forecasting on Supply Chain Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(10), pages 1326-1343, October.
- Fosso Wamba, Samuel & Lefebvre, Louis A. & Bendavid, Ygal & Lefebvre, Élisabeth, 2008. "Exploring the impact of RFID technology and the EPC network on mobile B2B eCommerce: A case study in the retail industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 614-629, April.
- Kelle, Peter & Akbulut, Asli, 2005. "The role of ERP tools in supply chain information sharing, cooperation, and cost optimization," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 41-52, January.
- Sarv Devaraj & Rajiv Kohli, 2003. "Performance Impacts of Information Technology: Is Actual Usage the Missing Link?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(3), pages 273-289, March.
- Zhang, Zhe & Lee, Matthew K.O. & Huang, Pei & Zhang, Liang & Huang, Xiaoyuan, 2005. "A framework of ERP systems implementation success in China: An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 56-80, October.
- Nooteboom, B., 1992. "Information technology, transaction costs and the decision to "make or buy"," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-372837, Tilburg University.
- Sila Çetinkaya & Chung-Yee Lee, 2000. "Stock Replenishment and Shipment Scheduling for Vendor-Managed Inventory Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(2), pages 217-232, February.
- Prajogo, Daniel & Olhager, Jan, 2012. "Supply chain integration and performance: The effects of long-term relationships, information technology and sharing, and logistics integration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 514-522.
- He, Yuanqiong & Lai, Kin Keung, 2012. "Supply chain integration and service oriented transformation: Evidence from Chinese equipment manufacturers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 791-799.
- Bendre, Abhijit Bhagwan & Nielsen, Lars Relund, 2013. "Inventory control in a lost-sales setting with information about supply lead times," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 324-331.
- Zhang, Allan N. & Goh, Mark & Meng, Fanwen, 2011. "Conceptual modelling for supply chain inventory visibility," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 578-585, October.
- Danese, Pamela & Romano, Pietro & Formentini, Marco, 2013. "The impact of supply chain integration on responsiveness: The moderating effect of using an international supplier network," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 125-140.
- Garcia, Fernanda A. & Marchetta, Martin G. & Camargo, Mauricio & Morel, Laure & Forradellas, Raymundo Q., 2012. "A framework for measuring logistics performance in the wine industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 284-298.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.