Performance analysis of Brazilian hedge funds
AbstractWe investigate Brazilian hedge funds, a fast-growing market with US$160 billion of assets under management as of September 2009. This study tests the claim that hedge funds can produce abnormal returns (generate alpha), gain market momentum (present market timing) and maintain a low correlation with market risk (zero beta). We find empirical evidence of the existence of high performance funds, although they are rare. Using a robust set of models, we find that, on average, only 5% of funds had positive and significant alphas and just 4% of the fund managers had market timing ability. However, a mitigation of market risk was observed among the hedge funds; approximately 35% of funds showed no correlation with the market. We also investigate the hedge funds' performance during the financial crisis of 2008 (June 2008 to November 2008) and during the subsequent period of rapid recovery (December 2008 to August 2009).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multinational Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 21 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/mulfin
Hedge fund Calculation of alpha Market timing Fund performance assessment Brazilian hedge fund;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Steri, Roberto & Giorgino, Marco & Viviani, Diego, 2009. "The Italian hedge funds industry: An empirical analysis of performance and persistence," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 75-91, February.
- Carl Ackermann & Richard McEnally & David Ravenscraft, 1999. "The Performance of Hedge Funds: Risk, Return, and Incentives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 833-874, 06.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1996. " Multifactor Explanations of Asset Pricing Anomalies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 55-84, March.
- Gaurav Amin & Harry. M Kat, 2001.
"Hedge Fund Performance 1990-2000- Do the "Money Machines" Really Add Value?,"
ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance
icma-dp2001-05, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Sep 2001.
- Amin, Gaurav S. & Kat, Harry M., 2003. "Hedge Fund Performance 1990–2000: Do the “Money Machines” Really Add Value?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 251-274, June.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Capocci, Daniel & Hubner, Georges, 2004. "Analysis of hedge fund performance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 55-89, January.
- Do, Viet & Faff, Robert & Wickramanayake, J., 2005. "An empirical analysis of hedge fund performance: The case of Australian hedge funds industry," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 377-393, October.
- Fonseca, Nelson & Bressan, Aureliano & Iquiapaza, Robert & Guerra, João, 2007.
"Análise do Desempenho Recente de Fundos de Investimento no Brasil
[Recent Performance Analysis of Mutual Funds in Brazil]," MPRA Paper 2994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.