Performance Analysis of Brazilian Hedge Funds
We investigate Brazilian hedge funds, a fast-growing market with US$160 billion of assets under management as of September 2009. This study tests the claim that hedge funds can produce abnormal returns (generate alpha), gain market momentum (present market timing) and maintain a low correlation with market risk (zero beta). We find empirical evidence of the existence of high performance funds, although they are rare. Using a robust set of models, we find that, on average, only 5% of funds had positive and significant alphas and just 4% of the fund managers had market timing ability. However, a mitigation of market risk was observed among the hedge funds; approximately 35% of funds showed no correlation with the market. We also investigate the hedge funds' performance during the financial crisis of 2008 (June 2008 to November 2008) and during the subsequent period of rapid recovery (December 2008 to August 2009).
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Quatá 300, São Paulo, SP 04546-042|
Web page: http://www.insper.edu.br/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Do, Viet & Faff, Robert & Wickramanayake, J., 2005. "An empirical analysis of hedge fund performance: The case of Australian hedge funds industry," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 377-393, October.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Amin, Gaurav S. & Kat, Harry M., 2003.
"Hedge Fund Performance 1990–2000: Do the “Money Machines” Really Add Value?,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 251-274, June.
- Gaurav Amin & Harry. M Kat, 2001. "Hedge Fund Performance 1990-2000- Do the "Money Machines" Really Add Value?," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2001-05, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Sep 2001.
- Fonseca, Nelson & Bressan, Aureliano & Iquiapaza, Robert & Guerra, João, 2007. "Análise do Desempenho Recente de Fundos de Investimento no Brasil
[Recent Performance Analysis of Mutual Funds in Brazil]," MPRA Paper 2994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carl Ackermann & Richard McEnally & David Ravenscraft, 1999. "The Performance of Hedge Funds: Risk, Return, and Incentives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 833-874, 06.
- Steri, Roberto & Giorgino, Marco & Viviani, Diego, 2009. "The Italian hedge funds industry: An empirical analysis of performance and persistence," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 75-91, February.
- Capocci, Daniel & Hubner, Georges, 2004. "Analysis of hedge fund performance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 55-89, January.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1996. " Multifactor Explanations of Asset Pricing Anomalies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 55-84, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ibm:ibmecp:wpe_236. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Naercio Menezes)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.