Continuity and completeness under risk
AbstractSuppose some non-degenerate preferences R, with strict part P, over risky outcomes satisfy Independence. Then, when they satisfy any two of the following axioms, they satisfy the third. Herstein-Milnor: for all lotteries p,q,r, the set of a's for which ap+(1-a)qRr is closed. Archimedean: for all p,q,r there exists a>0 such that if pPq, then ap+(1-a)rPq. Complete: for all p,q, either pRq or qRp.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 61 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Incomplete preferences Independence axiom Archimedean property;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maacheroni & Efe A. Ok, 2001.
"Expected Utility Theory without the Completeness Axiom,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1294, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dubra, Juan & Maccheroni, Fabio & Ok, Efe A., 2004. "Expected utility theory without the completeness axiom," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 118-133, March.
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maccheroni & Efe Oki, 2001. "Expected utility theory without the completeness axiom," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 11-2001, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- SCHMEIDLER, David, .
"A condition for the completeness of partial preference relations,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-86, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Schmeidler, David, 1971. "A Condition for the Completeness of Partial Preference Relations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(2), pages 403-04, March.
- Karni, Edi, 2007. "Archimedean and continuity," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 332-334, May.
- Georgios Gerasimou, 2013. "On continuity of incomplete preferences," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 157-167, June.
- Tsogbadral Galaabaatar & Edi Karni, 2010. "Objective and Subjective Expected Utility with Incomplete Preferences," Economics Working Paper Archive 572, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Karni, Edi, 2011. "Continuity, completeness and the definition of weak preferences," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 123-125, September.
- Galaabaatar, Tsogbadral & Karni, Edi, 2012. "Expected multi-utility representations," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 242-246.
- Edi Karni & Tsogbadral Galaabaatar, 2012. "Expected Multi-Utility Representations," Economics Working Paper Archive 592, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Özgür Evren, 2012. "Scalarization Methods and Expected Multi-Utility Representations," Working Papers w0174, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.