Continuity, completeness and the definition of weak preferences
AbstractThis note explores the connections between continuity and completeness under alternative conceptions of preference relations. For non-trivial preorders, it shows that, unlike the standard definitions, the weak preference relation defined inÂ Galaabaatar and Karni (2010) allows for incomplete preferences while maintaining all the continuity properties of complete preference relations. It also makes it possible to distinguish indifference between alternatives from non-comparability of alternatives. If the preference relations are complete, this definition agrees with the customary definitions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 62 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dubra, Juan & Maccheroni, Fabio & Ok, Efe A., 2004.
"Expected utility theory without the completeness axiom,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 118-133, March.
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maccheroni & Efe Oki, 2001. "Expected utility theory without the completeness axiom," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 11-2001, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maacheroni & Efe A. Ok, 2001. "Expected Utility Theory without the Completeness Axiom," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1294, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Schmeidler, David, 1971.
"A Condition for the Completeness of Partial Preference Relations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 39(2), pages 403-04, March.
- SCHMEIDLER, David, . "A condition for the completeness of partial preference relations," CORE Discussion Papers RP -86, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chateauneuf, Alain, 1987. "Continuous representation of a preference relation on a connected topological space," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 139-146, April.
- Dubra, Juan, 2011.
"Continuity and completeness under risk,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 80-81, January.
- Tsogbadral Galaabaatar & Edi Karni, 2010. "Objective and Subjective Expected Utility with Incomplete Preferences," Economics Working Paper Archive 572, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Galaabaatar, Tsogbadral & Karni, Edi, 2012. "Expected multi-utility representations," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 242-246.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.