An integrated production and inventory model for a whole manufacturing supply chain involving reverse logistics with finite horizon period
AbstractThis paper proposes a model and solution method for coordinating integrated production and inventory cycles in a whole manufacturing supply chain involving reverse logistics for multiple items with finite horizon period. A whole manufacturing supply chain involving reverse logistic consists of tier-2 suppliers supplying raw materials to tier-1 suppliers, tier-1 suppliers producing parts, a manufacturer which manufactures and assembles parts from tier-1 suppliers into finished products, distributors distributing finished products to retailers, retailers selling products to end customers and a third party which collects the used finished products from end customers, dissembles collected products into parts, and feed the parts back to the supply chain. In this system, we consider a finite horizon period. A mathematical model for representing the behaviors of the system is developed. Solution methods based on decentralized and a combination of decentralized and centralized decision making process, referred to as the semi-centralized decision making process, are proposed to solve the model while the centralized decision making process is solved by a mixed integer nonlinear programming method. A numerical example is used to demonstrate the model and the solutions based on the three types of the coordination.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rieksts, Brian Q. & Ventura, Jose A., 2008. "Optimal inventory policies with two modes of freight transportation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 576-585, April.
- El Saadany, Ahmed M.A. & Jaber, Mohamad Y., 2011. "A production/remanufacture model with returns' subassemblies managed differently," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 119-126, September.
- Chen, Tsung-Hui & Chen, Jen-Ming, 2005. "Optimizing supply chain collaboration based on joint replenishment and channel coordination," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 261-285, July.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 2003. "Optimizing inventory decisions in a multi-stage multi-customer supply chain," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 193-208, May.
- Chan, Chi Kin & Kingsman, Brian G., 2007. "Coordination in a single-vendor multi-buyer supply chain by synchronizing delivery and production cycles," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 90-111, March.
- Akanle, O.M. & Zhang, D.Z., 2008. "Agent-based model for optimising supply-chain configurations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 444-460, October.
- Choi, Dae-Won & Hwang, Hark & Koh, Shie-Gheun, 2007. "A generalized ordering and recovery policy for reusable items," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(2), pages 764-774, October.
- Kin Chan, Chi & Lee, Y.C.E. & Goyal, S.K., 2010. "A delayed payment method in co-ordinating a single-vendor multi-buyer supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 95-102, September.
- Gou, Qinglong & Liang, Liang & Huang, Zhimin & Xu, Chuanyong, 2008. "A joint inventory model for an open-loop reverse supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 28-42, November.
- Ganeshan, Ram, 1999. "Managing supply chain inventories: A multiple retailer, one warehouse, multiple supplier model," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-3), pages 341-354, March.
- R. Canan Savaskan & Shantanu Bhattacharya & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2004. "Closed-Loop Supply Chain Models with Product Remanufacturing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(2), pages 239-252, February.
- Haksever, Cengiz & Moussourakis, John, 2005. "A model for optimizing multi-product inventory systems with multiple constraints," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 18-30, July.
- Chung, Chun-Jen & Wee, Hui-Ming, 2011. "Short life-cycle deteriorating product remanufacturing in a green supply chain inventory control system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 195-203, January.
- Wee, Hui-Ming & Lee, Ming-Chang & Yu, Jonas C.P. & Edward Wang, C., 2011. "Optimal replenishment policy for a deteriorating green product: Life cycle costing analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 603-611, October.
- Lee, Wenyih, 2005. "A joint economic lot size model for raw material ordering, manufacturing setup, and finished goods delivering," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 163-174, April.
- Sarmah, S.P. & Acharya, D. & Goyal, S.K., 2006. "Buyer vendor coordination models in supply chain management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 1-15, November.
- Jaber, M.Y. & Goyal, S.K., 2008. "Coordinating a three-level supply chain with multiple suppliers, a vendor and multiple buyers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 95-103, November.
- Mitra, Subrata, 2009. "Analysis of a two-echelon inventory system with returns," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 106-115, February.
- Marzieh Shahmari Chatghieh & Harri Haapasalo & Anyanitha Distanont, 2013. "Comparing Manufacturing and Services Sourcing against R&D Sourcing," Diversity, Technology, and Innovation for Operational Competitiveness: Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Technology Innovation and Industrial Management, ToKnowPress.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.