A delayed payment method in co-ordinating a single-vendor multi-buyer supply chain
AbstractIn this paper, we consider a co-ordinated single-vendor multi-buyer supply chain model by synchronizing ordering and production cycles with delayed payments that are based on the buyers' order intervals. It can be shown that the synchronized cycles policy works better, in terms of total system costs, than independent optimization. While the vendor is benefited from the co-ordination by synchronized cycles, this research proposes a co-ordination mechanism that incorporates a delayed payment method which can guarantee that a buyer's total relevant cost of co-ordination will not be increased when compared with independent optimization. Most importantly, the vendor does not require any cost information from the buyers when applying this co-ordination mechanism.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 127 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Synchronization Cost sharing Multiple buyers Delayed payment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles W. Haley & Robert C. Higgins, 1973. "Inventory Policy and Trade Credit Financing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(4-Part-I), pages 464-471, December.
- Chung, Kun-Jen & Huang, Yung-Fu, 2003. "The optimal cycle time for EPQ inventory model under permissible delay in payments," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 307-318, June.
- Banerjee, Avijit & Burton, Jonathan S., 1994. "Coordinated vs. independent inventory replenishment policies for a vendor and multiple buyers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1-3), pages 215-222, June.
- Abad, P. L. & Jaggi, C. K., 2003. "A joint approach for setting unit price and the length of the credit period for a seller when end demand is price sensitive," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 115-122, February.
- Jamal, A. M. M. & Sarker, Bhaba R. & Wang, Shaojun, 2000. "Optimal payment time for a retailer under permitted delay of payment by the wholesaler," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 59-66, June.
- Khouja, Moutaz & Goyal, Suresh, 2008. "A review of the joint replenishment problem literature: 1989-2005," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(1), pages 1-16, April.
- Chun-Tao Chang & Jinn-Tsair Teng & Suresh Kumar Goyal, 2008. "Inventory Lot-Size Models Under Trade Credits: A Review," Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research (APJOR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 25(01), pages 89-112.
- Chung, Kun-Jen & Goyal, Suresh Kumar & Huang, Yung-Fu, 2005. "The optimal inventory policies under permissible delay in payments depending on the ordering quantity," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 203-213, February.
- Chan, Chi Kin & Kingsman, Brian G., 2007. "Coordination in a single-vendor multi-buyer supply chain by synchronizing delivery and production cycles," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 90-111, March.
- Sarmah, S.P. & Acharya, D. & Goyal, S.K., 2008. "Coordination of a single-manufacturer/multi-buyer supply chain with credit option," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 676-685, February.
- Suresh Kumar Goyal & Chun-Tao Chang, 2008. "Economic Order Quantity Under Conditions Of A One-Time-Only Extended Permissible Delay Period In Payments," Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research (APJOR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 25(02), pages 267-277.
- Sarmah, S.P. & Acharya, D. & Goyal, S.K., 2006. "Buyer vendor coordination models in supply chain management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 1-15, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.