A multi-stage stochastic supply network design problem with financial decisions and risk management
AbstractIn this paper, a multi-period supply chain network design problem is addressed. Several aspects of practical relevance are considered such as those related with the financial decisions that must be accounted for by a company managing a supply chain. The decisions to be made comprise the location of the facilities, the flow of commodities and the investments to make in alternative activities to those directly related with the supply chain design. Uncertainty is assumed for demand and interest rates, which is described by a set of scenarios. Therefore, for the entire planning horizon, a tree of scenarios is built. A target is set for the return on investment and the risk of falling below it is measured and accounted for. The service level is also measured and included in the objective function. The problem is formulated as a multi-stage stochastic mixed-integer linear programming problem. The goal is to maximize the total financial benefit. An alternative formulation which is based upon the paths in the scenario tree is also proposed. A methodology for measuring the value of the stochastic solution in this problem is discussed. Computational tests using randomly generated data are presented showing that the stochastic approach is worth considering in these types of problems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Valle, C.A. & Meade, N. & Beasley, J.E., 2014. "Absolute return portfolios," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 20-41.
- Wang, S. & Huang, G.H., 2014. "An integrated approach for water resources decision making under interactive and compound uncertainties," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 32-40.
- Bai, Ruibin & Wallace, Stein W. & Li, Jingpeng & Chong, Alain Yee-Loong, 2014. "Stochastic service network design with rerouting," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 50-65.
- Cardoso, Sónia R. & Barbosa-Póvoa, Ana Paula F.D. & Relvas, Susana, 2013. "Design and planning of supply chains with integration of reverse logistics activities under demand uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 436-451.
- Zhou, Yang & Huang, Guo H. & Yang, Boting, 2013. "Water resources management under multi-parameter interactions: A factorial multi-stage stochastic programming approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 559-573.
- Longinidis, Pantelis & Georgiadis, Michael C., 2014. "Integration of sale and leaseback in the optimal design of supply chain networks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 73-89.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.