On the location of new facilities for chain expansion under delivered pricing
AbstractWe study the problem of locating new facilities for one expanding chain which competes for demand in spatially separated markets where all competing chains use delivered pricing. A new network location model is formulated for profit maximization of the expanding chain assuming that equilibrium prices are set in each market. The cannibalization effect caused by the entrance of the new facilities is integrated in the objective function as a cost to be paid by the expanding chain to the cannibalized facilities. It is shown that the profit of the chain is maximized by locating the new facilities in a set of points which are nodes or iso-marginal delivered cost points (points on the network from which the marginal delivered cost equals the minimum marginal delivered cost from the existing facilities owned by the expanding chain). Then the location problem is reduced to a discrete optimization problem which is formulated as a mixed integer linear program. A sensitivity analysis respect to both the number of new facilities and the cannibalization cost is shown by using an illustrative example with data of the region of Murcia (Spain). Some conclusions are presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernandez, Pascual & Pelegrin, Blas & Garcia Perez, Maria Dolores & Peeters, Peter H., 2007. "A discrete long-term location-price problem under the assumption of discriminatory pricing: Formulations and parametric analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(3), pages 1050-1062, June.
- Partovi, Fariborz Y., 2006. "An analytic model for locating facilities strategically," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 41-55, January.
- Charles ReVelle & Alan T. Murray & Daniel Serra, 2004.
"Location models for ceding market share and shrinking services,"
Economics Working Papers
753, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- ReVelle, Charles & Murray, Alan T. & Serra, Daniel, 2007. "Location models for ceding market share and shrinking services," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 533-540, October.
- Aboolian, Robert & Berman, Oded & Krass, Dmitry, 2007. "Competitive facility location and design problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(1), pages 40-62, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.