A slacks-based inefficiency measure for a two-stage system with bad outputs
AbstractWe model the performance of DMUs (decision-making units) using a two-stage network model. In the first stage of production DMUs use inputs to produce an intermediate output that becomes an input to a second stage where final outputs are produced. Previous black box DEA models allowed for non-radial scaling of outputs and inputs and accounted for slacks in the constraints that define the technology. We extend these models and build a performance measure that accounts for a network structure of production. We use our method to estimate the performance of Japanese banks, which use labor, physical capital, and financial equity capital in a first stage to produce an intermediate output of deposits. In the second stage, those deposits become an input in the production of loans and securities investments. The network estimates reveal greater bank inefficiency than do the estimates that treat the bank production process as a black box with all production taking place in a single stage.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Noh, Dong-Woon & Weber, William, 2005. "Characteristics of a polluting technology: theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 469-492, June.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi & Weber, William L., 2009. "A directional slacks-based measure of technical inefficiency," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 274-287, December.
- Lothgren, Mickael & Tambour, Magnus, 1999. "Productivity and customer satisfaction in Swedish pharmacies: A DEA network model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 449-458, June.
- J. Colin Glass & Donal McKillop & Yukio Morikawa, 1998. "Intermediation and value-added models for estimating cost economies in large Japanese banks 1977-93," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(6), pages 653-661.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2009. "Opening the black box of efficiency analysis: An illustration with UAE banks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 930-941, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1990.
"Measurement and efficiency issues in commercial banking,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
151, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1992. "Measurement and Efficiency Issues in Commercial Banking," NBER Chapters, in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 245-300 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2002. "Bank Cost Efficiency and Output Specification," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 199-222, November.
- Botti, Laurent & Briec, Walter & Cliquet, Gérard, 2009. "Plural forms versus franchise and company-owned systems: A DEA approach of hotel chain performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 566-578, June.
- Chen, Yao & Liang, Liang & Zhu, Joe, 2009. "Equivalence in two-stage DEA approaches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(2), pages 600-604, March.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- Kao, Chiang & Hwang, Shiuh-Nan, 2008. "Efficiency decomposition in two-stage data envelopment analysis: An application to non-life insurance companies in Taiwan," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(1), pages 418-429, February.
- Lawrence M. Seiford & Joe Zhu, 1999. "Profitability and Marketability of the Top 55 U.S. Commercial Banks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(9), pages 1270-1288, September.
- Chen, Yao & Cook, Wade D. & Li, Ning & Zhu, Joe, 2009. "Additive efficiency decomposition in two-stage DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(3), pages 1170-1176, August.
- Rolf F�re & Shawna Grosskopf, 2003. "Nonparametric Productivity Analysis with Undesirable Outputs: Comment," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 1070-1074.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Yu, Ming-Miin & Lin, Erwin T.J., 2008. "Efficiency and effectiveness in railway performance using a multi-activity network DEA model," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1005-1017, December.
- Tone, Kaoru & Tsutsui, Miki, 2010. "Dynamic DEA: A slacks-based measure approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 145-156, June.
- Thomas Sexton & Herbert Lewis, 2003. "Two-Stage DEA: An Application to Major League Baseball," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 227-249, April.
- Sealey, Calvin W, Jr & Lindley, James T, 1977. "Inputs, Outputs, and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1251-66, September.
- Emrouznejad, Ali & Parker, Barnett R. & Tavares, Gabriel, 2008. "Evaluation of research in efficiency and productivity: A survey and analysis of the first 30 years of scholarly literature in DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 151-157, September.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 2000. "Network DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 35-49, March.
- Pastor, J. T. & Ruiz, J. L. & Sirvent, I., 1999. "An enhanced DEA Russell graph efficiency measure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 596-607, June.
- Tone, Kaoru, 2001. "A slacks-based measure of efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 498-509, May.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1996. "Productivity and intermediate products: A frontier approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 65-70, January.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi & Matousek, Roman, 2011. "Efficiency of Turkish banking: Two-stage network system. Variable returns to scale model," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 75-91, February.
- Zhou, P. & Ang, B.W. & Wang, H., 2012. "Energy and CO2 emission performance in electricity generation: A non-radial directional distance function approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 221(3), pages 625-635.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Rouatt, Stephen & Zhu, Haiyan, 2011. "Two-stage evaluation of bank branch efficiency using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 99-109, January.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Zhu, Haiyan, 2013. "A survey on bank branch efficiency and performance research with data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 61-79.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Wanke, Peter, 2014. "Banking efficiency in Brazil," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 54-65.
- Wang, Chun-Hsien & Lu, Yung-Hsiang & Huang, Chin-Wei & Lee, Jun-Yen, 2013. "R&D, productivity, and market value: An empirical study from high-technology firms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 143-155.
- Zhang, Ning & Kong, Fanbin & Choi, Yongrok & Zhou, P., 2014. "The effect of size-control policy on unified energy and carbon efficiency for Chinese fossil fuel power plants," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 193-200.
- Mircea Epure & Esteban Lafuente, 2012.
"Monitoring bank performance in the presence of risk,"
Economics Working Papers
1310, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 2014.
- Mircea Epure & Esteban Lafuente, 2014. "Monitoring Bank Performance in the Presence of Risk," Working Papers 613, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Hirofumi Fukuyama & Yuichiro Yoshida & Shunsuke Managi, 2011. "Modal choice between air and rail: a social efficiency benchmarking analysis that considers CO 2 emissions," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 13(2), pages 89-102, June.
- Sahoo, Biresh K. & Tone, Kaoru, 2013. "Non-parametric measurement of economies of scale and scope in non-competitive environment with price uncertainty," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 97-111.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi & Mirdehghan, S.M., 2012. "Identifying the efficiency status in network DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(1), pages 85-92.
- Akther, Syed & Fukuyama, Hirofumi & Weber, William L., 2013. "Estimating two-stage network Slacks-based inefficiency: An application to Bangladesh banking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 88-96.
- Amado, Carla A.F. & Santos, Sérgio P. & Marques, Pedro M., 2012. "Integrating the Data Envelopment Analysis and the Balanced Scorecard approaches for enhanced performance assessment," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 390-403.
- Wang, Ke & Huang, Wei & Wu, Jie & Liu, Ying-Nan, 2014. "Efficiency measures of the Chinese commercial banking system using an additive two-stage DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 5-20.
- Cook, Wade D. & Liang, Liang & Zhu, Joe, 2010. "Measuring performance of two-stage network structures by DEA: A review and future perspective," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 423-430, December.
- AGRELL, Per & HATAMI-MARBINI, Adel, 2011. "Frontier-based performance analysis models for supply chain management; state of the art and research directions," CORE Discussion Papers 2011069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Managi, Shunsuke & Matousek, Roman, 2012. "The technical efficiency of the Japanese banks: Non-radial directional performance measurement with undesirable output," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-8, January.
- Hall, Maximilian J.B. & Liu, Wenbin B. & Simper, Richard & Zhou, Zhongbao, 2013. "The economic efficiency of rehabilitative management in young offender institutions in England and Wales," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 38-49.
- Kao, Chiang, 2014. "Efficiency decomposition in network data envelopment analysis with slacks-based measures," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 1-6.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.