Equivalence in two-stage DEA approaches
AbstractData envelopment analysis (DEA) is a linear programming problem approach for evaluating the relative efficiency of peer decision making units (DMUs) that have multiple inputs and outputs. DMUs can have a two-stage structure where all the outputs from the first stage are the only inputs to the second stage, in addition to the inputs to the first stage and the outputs from the second stage. The outputs from the first stage to the second stage are called intermediate measures. This paper examines relations and equivalence between two existing DEA approaches that address measuring the performance of two-stage processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 193 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Data envelopment analysis (DEA) Efficiency Intermediate measure Two-stage;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Kao, Chiang & Hwang, Shiuh-Nan, 2008. "Efficiency decomposition in two-stage data envelopment analysis: An application to non-life insurance companies in Taiwan," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(1), pages 418-429, February.
- Lawrence M. Seiford & Joe Zhu, 1999. "Profitability and Marketability of the Top 55 U.S. Commercial Banks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(9), pages 1270-1288, September.
- Chen, Yao & Cook, Wade D. & Kao, Chiang & Zhu, Joe, 2013. "Network DEA pitfalls: Divisional efficiency and frontier projection under general network structures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 507-515.
- Lewis, Herbert F. & Mallikarjun, Sreekanth & Sexton, Thomas R., 2013. "Unoriented two-stage DEA: The case of the oscillating intermediate products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 229(2), pages 529-539.
- HATAMI-MARBINI, Adel & AGRELL, Per & AGHAYI, Nazila, 2013. "Imprecise data envelopment analysis for the two-stage process," CORE Discussion Papers 2013004, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Liu, John S. & Lu, Louis Y.Y. & Lu, Wen-Min & Lin, Bruce J.Y., 2013. "Data envelopment analysis 1978–2010: A citation-based literature survey," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 3-15.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos & Kourtzidis, Stavros, 2011. "The use of supply chain DEA models in operations management: A survey," MPRA Paper 31846, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chiou, Yu-Chiun & Lan, Lawrence W. & Yen, Barbara T.H., 2010. "A joint measurement of efficiency and effectiveness for non-storable commodities: Integrated data envelopment analysis approaches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 477-489, March.
- AGRELL, Per & HATAMI-MARBINI, Adel, 2011. "Frontier-based performance analysis models for supply chain management; state of the art and research directions," CORE Discussion Papers 2011069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kent Matthews, 2011.
"Risk Management and Managerial Efficiency in Chinese Banks: A Network DEA Framework,"
102011, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Matthews, Kent, 2013. "Risk management and managerial efficiency in Chinese banks: A network DEA framework," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 207-215.
- Matthews, Kent, 2010. "Risk Management and Managerial Efficiency in Chinese Banks: A Network DEA Framework," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2010/1, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section, revised Apr 2010.
- Cook, Wade D. & Liang, Liang & Zhu, Joe, 2010. "Measuring performance of two-stage network structures by DEA: A review and future perspective," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 423-430, December.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi & Weber, William L., 2010. "A slacks-based inefficiency measure for a two-stage system with bad outputs," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 398-409, October.
- Bădin, Luiza & Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Léopold, 2012. "How to measure the impact of environmental factors in a nonparametric production model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(3), pages 818-833.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.