Just in time, total quality management, and supply chain management: understanding their linkages and impact on business performance
AbstractIn recent years, numerous approaches have been proposed to improve operations performance. Three in particular, just in time, supply chain management, and quality management, have received considerable attention. While the three are sometimes viewed and implemented as if they were independent and distinct, they can also be used as three prongs of an integrated operations strategy. This study empirically examines the extent to which just in time, supply chain management, and quality management are correlated, and how they impact business performance. Results demonstrate that at both strategic and operational levels, linkages exist between how just in time, total quality management, and supply chain management are viewed by organizations as part of their operations strategy. Results also indicate that a commitment to quality and an understanding of supply chain dynamics have the greatest effect on performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 33 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Sadao Sakakibara & Barbara B. Flynn & Roger G. Schroeder & William T. Morris, 1997. "The Impact of Just-in-Time Manufacturing and Its Infrastructure on Manufacturing Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(9), pages 1246-1257, September.
- van der Vaart, Taco & van Donk, Dirk Pieter, 2008. "A critical review of survey-based research in supply chain integration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 42-55, January.
- Chow, Wing S. & Madu, Christian N. & Kuei, Chu-Hua & Lu, Min H. & Lin, Chinho & Tseng, Hojung, 2008. "Supply chain management in the US and Taiwan: An empirical study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 665-679, October.
- Sadikoglu, Esin & Zehir, Cemal, 2010. "Investigating the effects of innovation and employee performance on the relationship between total quality management practices and firm performance: An empirical study of Turkish firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 13-26, September.
- Amer RAJPUT & Abdul Hamid ABU BAKAR, 2011. "A Reprise Of Supply Chain Management In Consanguinity To The Industry Of Textile," Management and Marketing Journal, University of Craiova, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 0(2), pages 225-236, November.
- Khanchanapong, Teerasak & Prajogo, Daniel & Sohal, Amrik S. & Cooper, Brian K. & Yeung, Andy C.L. & Cheng, T.C.E., 2014. "The unique and complementary effects of manufacturing technologies and lean practices on manufacturing operational performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 153(C), pages 191-203.
- Bergenwall, Amy L. & Chen, Chialin & White, Richard E., 2012. "TPS's process design in American automotive plants and its effects on the triple bottom line and sustainability," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 374-384.
- Manijeh Teimori, 2014. "Effect of Information Security Management in Automotive Supply Chains to Reduce appetite Boosting Orders," International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, vol. 4(7), pages 316-324, July.
- Maria Rosário Moreira & Rui Alves, 2006. "How far from Just-in-time are Portuguese firms? A survey of its progress and perception," FEP Working Papers 215, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Olhager, Jan & Prajogo, Daniel I., 2012. "The impact of manufacturing and supply chain improvement initiatives: A survey comparing make-to-order and make-to-stock firms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 159-165, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.