Manufacturing strategy-technology relationship among auto suppliers
AbstractEach manufacturing plant has to develop its own path to success based on contingencies and on manufacturing practices links. On the basis of the latter, this paper tests the link between two of the most important manufacturing practices areas, manufacturing strategy (MS) and technology, without addressing causality or their combined effect on performance. This is done by selection fit, i.e. congruency adjustment. However, this paper goes beyond grouping both sets of practices in pairs, by using a more general selection view version, with practices from both sets related multidimensionally and subordinated by regression analysis to test for any congruent pattern. Regression results from a wide-ranging survey of auto supplier plants show that, in general, MS seems to have some kind of impact on technology, and that technology has some kind of influence on MS. In addition, a strong congruency between both practices areas is observed when using correlation. This suggests that when implementing or adjusting MS or technology, the other should also be considered; otherwise they may not operate effectively.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 133 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Congruency Selection Fit Manufacturing strategy Technology;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olhager, Jan, 1993. "Manufacturing flexibility and profitability," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 67-78, July.
- Kimberly A. Bates & Susan D. Amundson & Roger G. Schroeder & William T. Morris, 1995. "The Crucial Interrelationship Between Manufacturing Strategy and Organizational Culture," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(10), pages 1565-1580, October.
- Luft, Joan & Shields, Michael D., 2003. "Mapping management accounting: graphics and guidelines for theory-consistent empirical research," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 169-249.
- Parker, Abdul Rauf, 2000. "Impact on the Organizational Performance of the Strategy-Technology Policy Interaction," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 55-64, January.
- Matsui, Yoshiki, 2002. "Contribution of manufacturing departments to technology development: An empirical analysis for machinery, electrical and electronics, and automobile plants in Japan," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 185-197, November.
- Sadao Sakakibara & Barbara B. Flynn & Roger G. Schroeder & William T. Morris, 1997. "The Impact of Just-in-Time Manufacturing and Its Infrastructure on Manufacturing Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(9), pages 1246-1257, September.
- Simons, Robert, 1987. "Accounting control systems and business strategy: An empirical analysis," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 357-374, June.
- Demeter, Krisztina, 2003. "Manufacturing strategy and competitiveness," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 2015-213, January.
- Leong, G. K. & Snyder, D. L. & Ward, P. T., 1990. "Research in the process and content of manufacturing strategy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 109-122.
- Hartmann, Frank G. H. & Moers, Frank, 1999. "Testing contingency hypotheses in budgetary research: an evaluation of the use of moderated regression analysis," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 291-315, May.
- Primrose, Peter L., 1992. "Evaluating the introduction of JIT," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 9-22, April.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1995. "Complementarities and fit strategy, structure, and organizational change in manufacturing," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 179-208, April.
- Gerdin, Jonas & Greve, Jan, 2004. "Forms of contingency fit in management accounting research--a critical review," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 303-326.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- D. Thorleuchter & D. Van Den Poel, 2012. "Protecting Research and Technology from Espionage," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/824, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.