A simple model of international joint venture distributorships: the American-Kuwaiti experience
AbstractThe paper develops an analytical model for analyzing international joint venture distributorships in marketing channels selling highly differentiated industrial products. Regarding four alternative forms of demand functions, profits of channel members and consumer welfare under the joint venture arrangement are compared with those under the classic vertical integrated and decentralized structures. Furthermore, optimal allocation of joint venture benefits is discussed and the influence of attitude towards risk and bargaining power have been examined. A case study from international marketing is presented in relation to the theoretical work developed herein. It describes the events that have lead to the formation of a joint venture between an American manufacturer and a Kuwaiti distributor as well as the factors that have contributed to its termination. Implications of the research and its findings to management are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 23 (1995)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Grosse, 1985. "An Imperfect Competition Theory of the MNE," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 57-80, March.
- Timothy W. McGuire & Richard Staelin, 1983. "An Industry Equilibrium Analysis of Downstream Vertical Integration," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 161-191.
- Weijian Shan, 1991. "Environmental Risks and Joint Venture Sharing Arrangements," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(4), pages 555-578, December.
- Baardsen, To & Grønhaug, K, 1990. "The incentive fallacy in cooperative arrangements: A case study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 541-548.
- Nathan Fagre & Louis T Wells, 1982. "Bargaining Power of Multinationals and Host Governments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 13(2), pages 9-24, June.
- Farok J Contractor, 1990. "Ownership Patterns of U.S. Joint Ventures Abroad and the Liberalization of Foreign Government Regulations in the 1980s: Evidence from the Benchmark Surveys," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 55-73, March.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Anne T. Coughlan, 1985. "Competition and Cooperation in Marketing Channel Choice: Theory and Application," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 110-129.
- J Michael Geringer, 1991. "Strategic Determinants of Partner Selection Criteria in International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(1), pages 41-62, March.
- Jehoshua Eliashberg, 1986. "Arbitrating a Dispute: A Decision Analytic Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(8), pages 963-974, August.
- Abel P. Jeuland & Steven M. Shugan, 1983. "Managing Channel Profits," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages 239-272.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Farok J Contractor, 1985. "A Generalized Theorem for Joint Ventures and Licensing Negotiations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(2), pages 23-50, June.
- Bardhan, Pranab K, 1982. "Imports, Domestic Production, and Transnational Vertical Integration: A Theoretical Note," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 1020-34, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.