Mean Location and Sample Mean Location on Manifolds: Asymptotics, Tests, Confidence Regions
AbstractIn a previous investigation we studied some asymptotic properties of the sample mean location on submanifolds of Euclidean space. The sample mean location generalizes least squares statistics to smooth compact submanifolds of Euclidean space. In this paper these properties are put into use. Tests for hypotheses about mean location are constructed and confidence regions for mean location are indicated. We study the asymptotic distribution of the test statistic. The problem of comparing mean locations for two samples is analyzed. Special attention is paid to observations on Stiefel manifolds including the orthogonal groupO(p) and spheresSk-1, and special orthogonal groupsSO(p). The results also are illustrated with our experience with simulations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 67 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mardia, K. V. & Khatri, C. G., 1977. "Uniform distribution on a Stiefel manifold," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 468-473, September.
- Chikuse, Yasuko, 1990. "The matrix angular central Gaussian distribution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 265-274, May.
- Hendriks, Harrie & Landsman, Zinoviy, 1996. "Asymptotic behavior of sample mean location for manifolds," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 169-178, February.
- Hendriks, Harrie & Landsman, Zinoviy & Ruymgaart, Frits, 1996. "Asymptotic Behavior of Sample Mean Direction for Spheres," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 141-152, November.
- Huckemann, Stephan & Hotz, Thomas, 2009. "Principal component geodesics for planar shape spaces," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(4), pages 699-714, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.