Testing for Spherical Symmetry of a Multivariate Distribution
AbstractWe consider a test for spherical symmetry of a distribution in dwith an unknown center. It is a multivariate version of the tests suggested by Schuster and Barker and by Arcones and Giné. The test statistic is based on the multivariate extension of the distribution and quantile functions, recently introduced by Koltchinskii and Dudley and by Chaudhuri. We study the asymptotic behavior of the sequence of test statistics for large samples and for a fixed spherically asymmetric alternative as well as for a sequence of local alternatives converging to a spherically symmetric distribution. We also study numerically the performance of the test for moderate sample sizes and justify a symmetrized version of bootstrap approximation of the distribution of test statistics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 65 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heathcote, C. R. & Rachev, S. T. & Cheng, B., 1995. "Testing Multivariate Symmetry," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 91-112, July.
- David Blough, 1989. "Multivariate symmetry via projection pursuit," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 461-475, September.
- John Einmahl & Maria Gantner, 2012.
"Testing for bivariate spherical symmetry,"
TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research,
Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 54-73, March.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & Gantner, M., 2010. "Testing for Bivariate Spherical Symmetry," Discussion Paper 2010-71, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & Gantner, M., 2012. "Testing for bivariate spherical symmetry," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5117987, Tilburg University.
- Manzotti, A. & Pérez, Francisco J. & Quiroz, Adolfo J., 2002. "A Statistic for Testing the Null Hypothesis of Elliptical Symmetry," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 274-285, May.
- Jiajuan Liang & Kai-Tai Fang & Fred Hickernell, 2008. "Some necessary uniform tests for spherical symmetry," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 60(3), pages 679-696, September.
- Sakhanenko, Lyudmila, 2008. "Testing for ellipsoidal symmetry: A comparison study," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 565-581, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.