Testing Multivariate Symmetry
AbstractThe paper presents a procedure for testing a general multivariate distribution for symmetry about a point and, also, a procedure adapted to the special properties of multivariate stable laws. In the general case use is made of a stochastic process derived from the empirical characteristic function. Under symmetry weak convergence to a Gaussian process is established and a test statistic is defined in terms of this limit process. Unlike circumstances in the univariate case, it is found convenient to estimate the center of symmetry and a spherically trimmed mean is used for that purpose. The procedure specifically concerned with multivariate stable laws is based on estimates of the spectral measure and index of stability. A numerical example concerning a bivariate distribution is given.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 54 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Koltchinskii, V. I. & Li, Lang, 1998. "Testing for Spherical Symmetry of a Multivariate Distribution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 228-244, May.
- Manzotti, A. & Pérez, Francisco J. & Quiroz, Adolfo J., 2002. "A Statistic for Testing the Null Hypothesis of Elliptical Symmetry," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 274-285, May.
- Kim, Jeong-Ryeol, 2002. "The stable long-run CAPM and the cross-section of expected returns," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Meintanis, Simos G. & Iliopoulos, George, 2008. "Fourier methods for testing multivariate independence," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 1884-1895, January.
- Taras Bodnar & Wolfgang Schmid, 2008. "A test for the weights of the global minimum variance portfolio in an elliptical model," Metrika, Springer, vol. 67(2), pages 127-143, March.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Carlos Escanciano, J., 2007. "Nonparametric tests for conditional symmetry in dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 652-682, December.
- Rainer Dyckerhoff & Christophe Ley & Davy Paindaveine, 2014. "Depth-Based Runs Tests for bivariate Central Symmetry," Working Papers ECARES 2013/76999, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Azam Dehgani & Ali Dolati & Manuel Úbeda-Flores, 2013. "Measures of radial asymmetry for bivariate random vectors," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 54(2), pages 271-286, May.
- Neuhaus, Georg & Zhu, Li-Xing, 1998. "Permutation Tests for Reflected Symmetry," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 129-153, November.
- Henze, N. & Klar, B. & Meintanis, S. G., 2003. "Invariant tests for symmetry about an unspecified point based on the empirical characteristic function," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 275-297, November.
- Sakhanenko, Lyudmila, 2008. "Testing for ellipsoidal symmetry: A comparison study," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 565-581, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.