Permutation Tests for Reflected Symmetry
AbstractThe paper presents a permutation procedure for testing reflected (or diagonal) symmetry of the distribution of a multivariate variable. The test statistics are based in empirical characteristic functions. The resulting permutation tests are strictly distribution free under the null hypothesis that the underlying variables are symmetrically distributed about a center. Furthermore, the permutation tests are strictly valid if the symmetric center is known and are asymptotic valid if the center is an unknown point. The equivalence, in the large sample sense, between the tests and their permutation counterparts are established. The power behavior of the tests and their permutation counterparts under local alternative are investigated. Some simulations with small sample sizes ([less-than-or-equals, slant]20) are conducted to demonstrate how the permutation tests works.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 67 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Blough, 1989. "Multivariate symmetry via projection pursuit," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 461-475, September.
- Fang, K. T. & Zhu, L. X. & Bentler, P. M., 1993. "A Necessary Test of Goodness of Fit for Sphericity," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 34-55, April.
- Heathcote, C. R. & Rachev, S. T. & Cheng, B., 1995. "Testing Multivariate Symmetry," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 91-112, July.
- Baringhaus, L. & Henze, N., 1991. "Limit distributions for measures of multivariate skewness and kurtosis based on projections," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 51-69, July.
- Zhu, Lixing & Zhu, Ruoqing & Song, Song, 2008. "Diagnostic checking for multivariate regression models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(9), pages 1841-1859, October.
- Henze, N. & Klar, B. & Meintanis, S. G., 2003. "Invariant tests for symmetry about an unspecified point based on the empirical characteristic function," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 275-297, November.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.