Testing independence in nonparametric regression
AbstractWe propose a new test for independence of error and covariate in a nonparametric regression model. The test statistic is based on a kernel estimator for the L2-distance between the conditional distribution and the unconditional distribution of the covariates. In contrast to tests so far available in literature, the test can be applied in the important case of multivariate covariates. It can also be adjusted for models with heteroscedastic variance. Asymptotic normality of the test statistic is shown. Simulation results and a real data example are presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 100 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ingrid Keilegom & Wenceslao González Manteiga & César Sánchez Sellero, 2008. "Goodness-of-fit tests in parametric regression based on the estimation of the error distribution," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 401-415, August.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Consistent Nonparametric Entropy-Based Testing," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 437-53, May.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & Keilegom, I. van, 2008.
"Specification tests in nonparametric regression,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-192435, Tilburg University.
- Hall, Peter, 1984. "Central limit theorem for integrated square error of multivariate nonparametric density estimators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-16, February.
- John Xu Zheng, 1996. "A consistent test of functional form via nonparametric estimation techniques," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 263-289, December.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & Keilegom, I. van, 2006.
"Tests for Independence in Nonparametric Regression,"
2006-80, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & Keilegom, I. van, 2008. "Tests for independence in nonparametric regression," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-192434, Tilburg University.
- Müller Ursula U. & Schick Anton & Wefelmeyer Wolfgang, 2007. "Estimating the error distribution function in semiparametric regression," Statistics & Risk Modeling, De Gruyter, vol. 25(1/2007), pages 18, January.
- Hlávka, Zdenek & Husková, Marie & Meintanis, Simos G., 2011. "Tests for independence in non-parametric heteroscedastic regression models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(4), pages 816-827, April.
- Simos Meintanis, 2013. "Comments on: An updated review of Goodness-of-Fit tests for regression models," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 432-436, September.
- Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Léopold & Van Keilegom, Ingrid, 2014. "Frontier estimation in nonparametric location-scale models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 178(P3), pages 456-470.
- Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2013. "Comments on: An updated review of Goodness-of-Fit tests for regression models," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 428-431, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.