Testing independence in nonparametric regression
AbstractWe propose a new test for independence of error and covariate in a nonparametric regression model. The test statistic is based on a kernel estimator for the L2-distance between the conditional distribution and the unconditional distribution of the covariates. In contrast to tests so far available in literature, the test can be applied in the important case of multivariate covariates. It can also be adjusted for models with heteroscedastic variance. Asymptotic normality of the test statistic is shown. Simulation results and a real data example are presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 100 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Einmahl, John H.J. & Van Keilegom, Ingrid, 2008.
"Specification tests in nonparametric regression,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 88-102, March.
- Ingrid Keilegom & Wenceslao González Manteiga & César Sánchez Sellero, 2008. "Goodness-of-fit tests in parametric regression based on the estimation of the error distribution," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 401-415, August.
- John Xu Zheng, 1996. "A consistent test of functional form via nonparametric estimation techniques," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 263-289, December.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & Keilegom, I. van, 2006.
"Tests for Independence in Nonparametric Regression,"
2006-80, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & Keilegom, I. van, 2008. "Tests for independence in nonparametric regression," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-192434, Tilburg University.
- Van Keilegom, Ingrid, 2011. "Nonparametric location-scale models for censored successive survival times," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078.1/114546, Université catholique de Louvain.
- Hlávka, Zdenek & Husková, Marie & Meintanis, Simos G., 2011. "Tests for independence in non-parametric heteroscedastic regression models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(4), pages 816-827, April.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.