Cointegration analysis of the black market and official exchange rates in India
AbstractThe examination of stochastic properties of the black market and official exchange rates in India reveals that the series are cointegrated and, therefore, possess a longrun equilibrium relation. The black rate is found to be more sensitive to shocks, and at the same time, adjusts more quickly to departures from the long-run equilibrium relation. This is expected, since the policy-determined official rate was set by what seems to be a sluggish and/or arbitrary mechanism, and that the black had to largely respond and adjust to the exogenous shocks in order to maintain the long-run equilibrium relation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Macroeconomics.
Volume (Year): 15 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622617
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jesús Otero & Costas Milas, 2001.
"Modelling Official And Parallel Exchange Rates In Colombia Under Alternative Regimes: A Non-Linear Approach,"
CeNDEF Workshop Papers, January 2001
PO2, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Milas, Costas & Otero, Jesus, 2003. "Modelling official and parallel exchange rates in Colombia under alternative regimes: a non-linear approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 165-179, January.
- Costas Milas & Jesus Otero, 2000. "Modelling official and parallel exchange rates in Colombia under alternative regimes: a non-linear approach," BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN 003231, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Kouretas, Georgios P. & Zarangas, Leonidas P., 2001.
"Black and official exchange rates in Greece: an analysis of their long-run dynamics,"
Journal of Multinational Financial Management,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 295-314, July.
- George Kouretas & Leonidas Zarangas, . "Black and Official Exchange Rates in Greece: An Analysis of their long-run dynamics," Working Papers 9902, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Miteza, Ilir & Nasir, A. B. M., 2002. "The long-run relation between black market and official exchange rates: evidence from panel cointegration," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 397-404, August.
- Subrata Ghatak & Jalal Siddiki, 2001. "The use of the ARDL approach in estimating virtual exchange rates in India," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(5), pages 573-583.
- Sovannroeun Samreth, 2010. "A Note on Short-Run and Long-Run Relationships between Parallel and Official Exchange Rates: The Case of Cambodia," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1044-1053.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Goswami, Gour Gobinda, 2004. "Long-run nature of the relationship between the black market and the official exchange rates," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 319-327, September.
- Diamandis, Panayiotis F., 2003. "Market efficiency, purchasing power parity, and the official and parallel markets for foreign currency in Latin America," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 89-110.
- Shachmurove, Yochanan, 1999. "The Premium in Black Foreign Exchange Markets: Evidence from Developing Economies," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-39, January.
- Diamandis, Panayiotis F. & Drakos, Anastassios A., 2005. "Long-run dynamics of official and black-market exchange rates in Latin America," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 219-237, February.
- Dockery, E. & Taylor, K., 1997. "Some tests on the long-run dynamics of black and official exchange rates: evidence for four East European countries," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 317-332, December.
- Ali Kutan, 1998. "Dynamics of parallel and official exchange rates: The experience of hungary," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(1), pages 54-65, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.