The use of the ARDL approach in estimating virtual exchange rates in India
AbstractThis paper applies the autoregressive distributed lag approach to cointegration analysis in estimating the 'virtual exchange rate' (VER) in India. The VER would have prevailed if the unconstrained import demand were equal to the constraint imposed due to foreign exchange rationing and the VER is used to approximate the 'price' of rationed foreign exchange reserves. We highlight the shortcomings of the existing literature in approximating equilibrium exchange rates in a less developed country such as India and propose the VER approach for equilibrium rates, which uses information from an estimated structural model. In this relationship, black market real exchange rate (E U ) is a dependent variable and real official exchange rates (E O ), the ratio of the foreign (r*) to the domestic (r) interest rate (I), and official forex reserves (Q) are explanatory variables. In our estimation, the VERs are higher than E O by about 10% in the short-run and 16% in the long-run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Applied Statistics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=100411
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1996. "Testing for the 'Existence of a Long-run Relationship'," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9622, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1990. "Stabilization Policies in Developing Countries with a Parallel Market for Foreign Exchange: A Formal Framework," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 560-592, September.
- Neary, J. P. & Roberts, K. W. S., 1980.
"The theory of household behaviour under rationing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42, January.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978. "The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Charemza, Wojciech W., 1990. "Parallel markets, excess demand and virtual prices : An empirical approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 331-339, May.
- Baghestani, Hamid & Noer, John, 1993. "Cointegration analysis of the black market and official exchange rates in India," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 709-721.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Jonathan David Ostry, 1991.
"Response of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate to Real Disturbances in Developing Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
91/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Ostry, Jonathan D., 1992. "Response of the equilibrium real exchange rate to real disturbances in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1325-1334, September.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, et al, 1983. "The Black Market for Dollars in Brazil," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(1), pages 25-40, February.
- Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1990. "Stabilization Policies in Developing Countries with a Parallel Market for Foreign Exchange: A Formal Framework," IMF Working Papers 90/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Phylaktis, Kate, 1991. "The black market for dollars in Chile," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1-2), pages 155-172, November.
- Sanjeev Gupta, 1980. "An application of the monetary approach to black market exchange rates," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 235-252, June.
- Jalal Siddiki, 2002. "Trade and Financial Liberalisation and Endogenous Growth in Bangladesh," International Economic Journal, Korean International Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 23-37.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Shin, Y., 1995. "An Autoregressive Distributed Lag Modelling Approach to Cointegration Analysis," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9514, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Sheikh, Munir A., 1976. "Black market for foreign exchange, capital flows and smuggling," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 9-26, March.
- Jalal U. Siddiki, 2000. "Black market exchange rates in India: an empirical analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 297-313.
- Ramazan Sari & Shawkat Hammoudeh & Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer, 2011.
"Causality Between Market Liquidity and Depth for Energy and Grains,"
Working Papers in Economics
11/15, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Sari, Ramazan & Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Chang, Chia-Lin & McAleer, Michael, 2012. "Causality between market liquidity and depth for energy and grains," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1683-1692.
- Sari, S. & Hammoudeh, S.M. & Chang, C-L. & McAleer, M.J., 2011. "Causality Between Market Liquidity and Depth for Energy and Grains," Econometric Institute Report EI 2011-14, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Ramazan Sari & Shawkat Hammoudeh & Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Causality Between Market Liquidity and Depth for Energy and Grains," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2011-10, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Ramazan Sari & Shawkat Hammoudeh & Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Causality Between Market Liquidity and Depth for Energy and Grains," KIER Working Papers 769, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Mosayeb PAHLAVANI & Mohammad RAHIMI, 2009. "Sources of Inflation in Iran: An application of the ARDL Approach," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
- Sari, Ramazan & Soytas, Ugur, 2009. "Are global warming and economic growth compatible? Evidence from five OPEC countries?," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(10), pages 1887-1893, October.
- Lee, Chien Chiang & Chang, Chun Ping, 2012. "The Demand for Money in China: A Reassessment Using the Bounds Testing Approach," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 74-94, March.
- Kyophilavong, Phouphet & Shahbaz, Muhammad & Salah Uddin, Gazi, 2013.
"Does J-Curve Phenomenon Exist in Case of Laos? An ARDL Approach,"
49052, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Aug 2013.
- Kyophilavong, Phouphet & Shahbaz, Muhammad & Salah Uddin, Gazi, 2013. "Does J-Curve Phenomenon Exist in Case of Laos? An ARDL Approach," MPRA Paper 48084, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 04 Jul 2013.
- Shaheen, Safana & Awan, Masood Sarwar & Waqas, Muhammad & Aslam, Muhammad Amir, 2011. "Financial Development, International Trade and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan," MPRA Paper 32876, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jayaraman, T.K. & Choong, Chee-Keong, 2009. "Growth and oil price: A study of causal relationships in small Pacific Island countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2182-2189, June.
- Hoque, Mohammad Monjurul & Yusop, Zulkornain, 2010. "Impacts of trade liberalisation on aggregate import in Bangladesh: An ARDL Bounds test approach," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 37-52, February.
- Chien-Chung Nieh & Yu-Shan Wang, 2005. "ARDL Approach to the Exchange Rate Overshooting in Taiwan," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 55-71, August.
- Riad Sultan, 2012. "An Econometric Study of Economic Growth, Energy and Exports in Mauritius: Implications for Trade and Climate Policy," International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Econjournals, vol. 2(4), pages 225-237.
- Sari, Ramazan & Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Soytas, Ugur, 2010. "Dynamics of oil price, precious metal prices, and exchange rate," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 351-362, March.
- Min B. SHRESTHA & Khorshed CHOWDHURY, 2007. "Impact of Financial Liberalization on Welfare: Evidence from Nepal," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(1).
- Sanidas, Elias & Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu, 2006. "The Consequences of Trade Liberalisation on the Australian Passenger Motor Vehicle Industry," Economics Working Papers wp06-01, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Taiwo Ajilore & Sylvanus Ikhide, 2012. "A Bounds Testing Analysis of Migrants Remittances and Financial Development in Selected Sub-Sahara African Countries," The Review of Finance and Banking, Academia de Studii Economice din Bucuresti, Romania / Facultatea de Finante, Asigurari, Banci si Burse de Valori / Catedra de Finante, vol. 4(2), pages 079-096, December.
- Biru Paul & Md. Uddin & Abdullah Noman, 2011. "Remittances and output in Bangladesh: an ARDL bounds testing approach to cointegration," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 58(2), pages 229-242, June.
- Gazi Salah Uddin & Phouphet Kyophilavong & Nasim Sydee, 2012. "The Casual Nexus of Banking Sector Development and Poverty Reduction in Bangladesh," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(3), pages 304-311.
- Orji Anthony, 2012. "Bank Savings and Bank Credits in Nigeria: Determinants and Impact on Economic Growth," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(3), pages 357-372.
- Reetu Verma & Ali Salman Saleh, 2011. "Saving and investment in Saudi Arabia: an empirical analysis," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 136-148, June.
- Sari, Ramazan & Ewing, Bradley T. & Soytas, Ugur, 2008. "The relationship between disaggregate energy consumption and industrial production in the United States: An ARDL approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2302-2313, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.