International joint venture: Buy-out and subsidiary
AbstractThis paper deals with the issue of instability of joint ventures in the context of international investment. In an adverse selection framework, we show (a) the partial share adjustment of a joint venture by a multinational corporation (MNC) and (b) the possibility of setting up a subsidiary by the MNC to compete with its existing joint venture counterpart. In our principal agent framework of buy-out, we find an interesting implication that under certain parameter configurations, the principal (MNC) prefers to offer a pooling contract as opposed to a separating contract, thereby deciding not to acquire the agent's true private information.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization.
Volume (Year): 65 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jebo
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Insup & Wyatt, Steve B, 1990. "The Effects of International Joint Ventures on Shareholder Wealth," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 25(4), pages 641-49, November.
- Das, Satya P, 1999. "Direct Foreign Investment versus Licensing," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 86-97, February.
- Arvind Parkhe, 1991. "Interfirm Diversity, Organizational Learning, and Longevity in Global Strategic Alliances," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(4), pages 579-601, December.
- Gilbert, Richard J & Newbery, David M, 1992. "Alternative Entry Paths: The Build or Buy Decision," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 129-50, Spring.
- Caillaud, Bernard, 1990. "Regulation, competition, and asymmetric information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 87-110, October.
- Marjit, S., 1988.
"Rationalizing Public-Private Joint Ventures In An Open Economy: A Strategic Approach,"
88-1, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Marjit, Sugata, 1990. "Rationalizing public-private joint ventures in an open economy : A strategic approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 377-383, October.
- Tailan Chi & Donald J McGuire, 1996. "Collaborative Ventures and Value of Learning: Integrating the Transaction Cost and Strategic Option Perspectives on the Choice of Market Entry Modes," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(2), pages 285-307, June.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 1985. "Monitoring and Hierarchies: The Marginal Value of Information in a Principal-Agent Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 599-609, June.
- Lerner, Josh & Merges, Robert P, 1998. "The Control of Technology Alliances: An Empirical Analysis of the Biotechnology Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 125-56, June.
- Bruce Kogut, 1991. "Joint Ventures and the Option to Expand and Acquire," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Lewis, Tracy R. & Sappington, David E. M., 1989. "Countervailing incentives in agency problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 294-313, December.
- Kogut, Bruce, 1989. "The Stability of Joint Ventures: Reciprocity and Competitive Rivalry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 183-98, December.
- Kamien, Morton I & Zang, Israel, 1990.
"The Limits of Monopolization through Acquisition,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 105(2), pages 465-99, May.
- Morton I. Kamien & Israel Zang, 1988. "The Limits of Monopolization Through Acquisition," Discussion Papers 802, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Morton I. Kamien & Israel Zang, 1987. "The Limits of Monopolization Through Acquisition," Discussion Papers 754, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Sinha, Uday Bhanu, 2001. "International joint venture, licensing and buy-out under asymmetric information," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 127-151, October.
- Sugata Marjit & Arijit Mukherjee, 2001. "Technology Transfer under Asymmetric Information: The Role of Equity Participation," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 157(2), pages 282-, June.
- Aimin Yan & Ming Zeng, 1999. "International Joint Venture Instability: A Critique of Previous Research, A Reconceptualization, and Directions for Future Research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(2), pages 397-414, June.
- Aimin Yan, 1998. "Structural Stability and Reconfiguration of International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(4), pages 773-795, December.
- Baron, David P & Myerson, Roger B, 1982.
"Regulating a Monopolist with Unknown Costs,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 911-30, July.
- Balakrishnan, Srinivasan & Koza, Mitchell P., 1993. "Information asymmetry, adverse selection and joint-ventures : Theory and evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 99-117, January.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Roy Chowdhury, Indrani & Roy Chowdhury, Prabal, 2001. "A theory of joint venture life-cycles," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 319-343, March.
- Farok J Contractor, 1990. "Ownership Patterns of U.S. Joint Ventures Abroad and the Liberalization of Foreign Government Regulations in the 1980s: Evidence from the Benchmark Surveys," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 55-73, March.
- Gjesdal, Froystein, 1982. "Information and Incentives: The Agency Information Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 373-90, July.
- Chia Sun, 2014. "A conceptual framework for R&D strategic alliance assessment for Taiwan’s biotechnology industry," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 259-279, January.
- Banerjee, Shantanu & Mukherjee, Arijit, 2010. "Joint venture instability in developing countries under entry," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 603-614, October.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.