Social media technology usage and customer relationship performance: A capabilities-based examination of social CRM
AbstractThis study examines how social media technology usage and customer-centric management systems contribute to a firm-level capability of social customer relationship management (CRM). Drawing from the literature in marketing, information systems, and strategic management, the first contribution of this study is the conceptualization and measurement of social CRM capability. The second key contribution is the examination of how social CRM capability is influenced by both customer-centric management systems and social media technologies. These two resources are found to have an interactive effect on the formation of a firm-level capability that is shown to positively relate to customer relationship performance. The study analyzes data from 308 organizations using a structural equation modeling approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 67 (2014)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Customer relationship management; CRM; Customer relationship performance; Information technology; Marketing capabilities; Social media technology;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gounaris, Spiros & Koritos, Christos & Vassilikopoulou, Katerina, 2010. "Person-place congruency in the Internet Banking context," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(9-10), pages 943-949, September.
- Hanna, Richard & Rohm, Andrew & Crittenden, Victoria L., 2011. "We're all connected: The power of the social media ecosystem," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 265-273, May.
- Cooper, Marjorie J. & Gwin, Carol F. & Wakefield, Kirk L., 2008. "Cross-functional interface and disruption in CRM projects: Is marketing from Venus and information systems from Mars?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 292-299, April.
- Borges, Mauro & Hoppen, Norberto & Luce, Fernando Bins, 2009. "Information technology impact on market orientation in e-business," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(9), pages 883-890, September.
- Michael Ahearne & Eli Jones & Adam Rapp & John Mathieu, 2008. "High Touch Through High Tech: The Impact of Salesperson Technology Usage on Sales Performance via Mediating Mechanisms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(4), pages 671-685, April.
- Kietzmann, Jan H. & Hermkens, Kristopher & McCarthy, Ian P. & Silvestre, Bruno S., 2011. "Social media? Get serious! Understanding the functional building blocks of social media," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 241-251, May.
- Roberts, Nicholas & Grover, Varun, 2012. "Investigating firm's customer agility and firm performance: The importance of aligning sense and respond capabilities," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(5), pages 579-585.
- Berthon, Pierre R. & Pitt, Leyland F. & Plangger, Kirk & Shapiro, Daniel, 2012. "Marketing meets Web 2.0, social media, and creative consumers: Implications for international marketing strategy," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 261-271.
- Richard P. Bagozzi & Utpal M. Dholakia, 2006. "Open Source Software User Communities: A Study of Participation in Linux User Groups," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(7), pages 1099-1115, July.
- Chang, Woojung & Park, Jeong Eun & Chaiy, Seoil, 2010. "How does CRM technology transform into organizational performance? A mediating role of marketing capability," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(8), pages 849-855, August.
- Rapp, Adam & Trainor, Kevin J. & Agnihotri, Raj, 2010. "Performance implications of customer-linking capabilities: Examining the complementary role of customer orientation and CRM technology," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(11), pages 1229-1236, November.
- Hooley, Graham J. & Greenley, Gordon E. & Cadogan, John W. & Fahy, John, 2005. "The performance impact of marketing resources," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 18-27, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.