Investigating firm's customer agility and firm performance: The importance of aligning sense and respond capabilities
AbstractIn today's hypercompetitive environment, firms that are agile tend to be more successful. However, despite the widely accepted importance of agility, there is limited research on this construct. In this study we aim to conceptually define and operationalize firm's customer agility. We propose that agility comprises two distinct capabilities, sensing and responding, and we address the issue of alignment between these capabilities and its impact on performance. Using a dynamic capabilities framework, we formulate both matching and mediating perspectives on customer agility. Based on data collected from marketing managers, we tested hypotheses pertaining to the two methods of alignment. The results indicate significant support for the role of both forms of alignment on performance. Implications for research and practice are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 65 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Customer agility; Sense and respond; Dynamic capabilities; Alignment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akbar Zaheer & Srilata Zaheer, 1997. "Catching the Wave: Alertness, Responsiveness, and Market Influence in Global Electronic Networks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(11), pages 1493-1509, November.
- Strandholm, Karen & Kumar, Kamalesh & Subramanian, Ram, 2004. "Examining the interrelationships among perceived environmental change, strategic response, managerial characteristics, and organizational performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 58-68, January.
- Sanchez, Ron, 2004. "Understanding competence-based management: Identifying and managing five modes of competence," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(5), pages 518-532, May.
- Jarratt, Denise & Fayed, Ramzi, 2001. "The impact of market and organisational challenges on marketing strategy decision-making: a qualitative investigation of the business-to-business sector," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 61-72, January.
- Sharifi, H. & Zhang, Z., 1999. "A methodology for achieving agility in manufacturing organisations: An introduction," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 7-22, May.
- Nath, Deepika & Newell, Stephanie E., 1998. "Organizational responses to a hypercompetitive environment: A case study of Pepsi Canada," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 41-48, January.
- Edwards, Jeffrey R., 1994. "The Study of Congruence in Organizational Behavior Research: Critique and a Proposed Alternative," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 51-100, April.
- Yusuf, Y. Y. & Sarhadi, M. & Gunasekaran, A., 1999. "Agile manufacturing:: The drivers, concepts and attributes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 33-43, May.
- Rapp, Adam & Trainor, Kevin J. & Agnihotri, Raj, 2010. "Performance implications of customer-linking capabilities: Examining the complementary role of customer orientation and CRM technology," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(11), pages 1229-1236, November.
- Stephanie Fernhaber, 2013. "Untangling the relationship between new venture internationalization and performance," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 220-242, September.
- Fullerton, Rosemary R. & Kennedy, Frances A. & Widener, Sally K., 2013. "Management accounting and control practices in a lean manufacturing environment," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 50-71.
- Trainor, Kevin J. & Andzulis, James (Mick) & Rapp, Adam & Agnihotri, Raj, 2014. "Social media technology usage and customer relationship performance: A capabilities-based examination of social CRM," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(6), pages 1201-1208.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.