Financial dollarization: The role of foreign-owned banks and interest rates
AbstractWhy in many economies households and firms borrow and make deposits in foreign currency? Expanding on the existing literature, our framework addresses this question allowing for interest rate differentials and access to foreign funds to play a role in explaining this process of asset substitution or financial dollarization. Using a newly compiled data set on transition economies and employing a standard panel as well as a panel-VAR methodology we find that increasing access to foreign funds leads to higher credit dollarization, while it decreases deposit dollarization. Interest rate differentials matter for the dollarization of both loans and deposits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 35 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Financial euroization Foreign banks Interest rate differentials Transition economies;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2008. "Microeconomics of Banking, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062704, June.
- Pasricha, Gurnain, 2009.
"Bank Competition and International Financial Integration: Evidence using a new Index,"
16767, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gurnain Kaur Pasricha, 2009. "Bank Competition and International Financial Integration:Evidence Using a New Index," Working Papers 242009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Gurnain Kaur Pasricha, 2010. "Bank Competition and International Financial Integration: Evidence Using a New Index," Working Papers 10-35, Bank of Canada.
- Gurnain Kaur Pasricha, 2009. "Bank Competition and International Financial Integration: Evidence using a new index," FIW Working Paper series 037, FIW.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Attanasio, O. & Picci, L. & Scorcu, A.E., 2000.
"Saving, growth, and investment: a macroeconomic analysis using a panel of countries,"
Open Access publications from University College London
http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Lucio Picci & Antonello E. Scorcu, 2000. "Saving, Growth, and Investment: A Macroeconomic Analysis Using a Panel of Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 182-211, May.
- Nicolo, Gianni De & Honohan, Patrick & Ize, Alain, 2005. "Dollarization of bank deposits: Causes and consequences," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1697-1727, July.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2006.
"Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries,"
DNB Working Papers
101, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- de Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2010. "Internal capital markets and lending by multinational bank subsidiaries," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Ralph De Haas & Iman Van Lelyveld, 2008. "Internal capital markets and lending by multinational bank subsidiaries," Working Papers 105, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- De Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2009. "Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries," MPRA Paper 13164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Basso, Henrique S. & Calvo-Gonzalez, Oscar & Jurgilas, Marius, 2007. "Financial dollarization: the role of banks and interest rates," Working Paper Series 0748, European Central Bank.
- Cottarelli, Carlo & Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Vladkova-Hollar, Ivanna, 2005.
"Early birds, late risers, and sleeping beauties: Bank credit growth to the private sector in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Balkans,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 83-104, January.
- Ivanna Vladkova Hollar & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Carlo Cottarelli, 2003. "Early Birds, Late Risers, and Sleeping Beauties: Bank Credit Growth to the Private Sector in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Balkans," IMF Working Papers 03/213, International Monetary Fund.
- Ralph de Haas & Ilko Naaborg, 2005. "Internal Capital Markets in Multinational Banks: Implications for European Transition Countries," DNB Working Papers 051, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Love, Inessa & Zicchino, Lea, 2006. "Financial development and dynamic investment behavior: Evidence from panel VAR," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 190-210, May.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio Jr., Gerard & Levine, Ross, 2001.
"Bank regulation and supervision : what works best?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2725, The World Bank.
- Adolfo Barajas & Armando MÃ©ndez Morales, 2003. "Dollarization of Liabilities: Beyond the Usual Suspects," IMF Working Papers 03/11, International Monetary Fund.
- Luca, Alina & Petrova, Iva, 2008. "What drives credit dollarization in transition economies?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 858-869, May.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Alain Ize, 2005. "Financial Dollarization Equilibria: A Framework for Policy Analysis," IMF Working Papers 05/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Ize, Alain & Yeyati, Eduardo Levy, 2003. "Financial dollarization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 323-347, March.
- Marina Tkalec, 2013.
"The Dynamics of Deposit Euroization in European Post-Transition Countries: Evidence from Threshold VAR,"
Focus on European Economic Integration,
Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 66-83, 03.
- Marina Tkalec, 2012. "The Dynamics of Deposit Euroization in European Post-transition Countries: Evidence from Threshold VAR," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 62(3), pages 278-296, July.
- Marina Tkalec, 2011. "The Dynamics of Deposit Euroization in European Post-transition Countries: Evidence from Threshold VAR," Working Papers 1102, The Institute of Economics, Zagreb.
- Marina Tkalec, 2013. "Monetary Determinants of Deposit Euroization in European Post-Transition Countries," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 60(1), pages 89-101, March.
- Brown, Martin & de Haas, Ralph, 2012.
"Foreign banks and foreign currency lending in emerging Europe,"
36323, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Brown & Ralph De Haas, 2012. "Foreign banks and foreign currency lending in emerging Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 27(69), pages 57-98, 01.
- Martin Brown & Steven Ongena & Pinar Yesin, 2012.
"Information Asymmetry and Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms,"
2012-05, Swiss National Bank.
- Brown, M. & Ongena, S. & Yesin, P., 2011. "Information Asymmetry and Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms," Discussion Paper 2011-099, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ponomarenko, Alexey & Solovyeva, Alexandra & Vasilieva, Elena, 2012. "Financial dollarization in Russia: causes and consequences," BOFIT Discussion Papers 36/2011, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.