Additivity properties for Value-at-Risk under Archimedean dependence and heavy-tailedness
AbstractMainly due to new capital adequacy standards for banking and insurance, an increased interest exists in the aggregation properties of risk measures like Value-at-Risk (VaR). We show how VaR can change from sub to superadditivity depending on the properties of the underlying model. Mainly, the switch from a finite to an infinite mean model gives a completely different asymptotic behaviour. Our main result proves a conjecture made in Barbe etÂ al. [Barbe, P., Fougères, A.L., Genest, C., 2006. On the tail behavior of sums of dependent risks. ASTIN Bull. 36(2), 361-374].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Insurance: Mathematics and Economics.
Volume (Year): 44 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554
Value-at-Risk Subadditivity Dependence structure Archimedean copula Aggregation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muller, Alfred, 1997. "Stop-loss order for portfolios of dependent risks," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 219-223, December.
- J. Dhaene & R. J. A. Laeven & S. Vanduffel & G. Darkiewicz & M. J. Goovaerts, 2008.
"Can a Coherent Risk Measure Be Too Subadditive?,"
Journal of Risk & Insurance,
The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 75(2), pages 365-386.
- Dhaene, Jan & Laeven, Rob & Vanduffel, Steven & Darkiewicz, Grzegorz & Goovaerts, Marc, 2008. "Can a coherent risk measure be too subadditive?," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/199866, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Dhaene, Jan & Laeven, R & Vanduffel, Steven & Darkiewicz, Grzegorz & Goovaerts, Marc, 2004. "Can a coherent risk measure be too subadditive?," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/85357, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Marco Moscadelli, 2004. "The modelling of operational risk: experience with the analysis of the data collected by the Basel Committee," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 517, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Alink, Stan & Lowe, Matthias & V. Wuthrich, Mario, 2004. "Diversification of aggregate dependent risks," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 77-95, August.
- Casper G. de Vries & Gennady Samorodnitsky & Bjørn N. Jorgensen & Sarma Mandira & Jon Danielsson, 2005. "Subadditivity Re–Examined: the Case for Value-at-Risk," FMG Discussion Papers dp549, Financial Markets Group.
- Wei, Gang & Hu, Taizhong, 2002. "Supermodular dependence ordering on a class of multivariate copulas," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 375-385, May.
- Georg Mainik & Ludger Rüschendorf, 2010. "On optimal portfolio diversification with respect to extreme risks," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 593-623, December.
- Mao, Tiantian & Lv, Wenhua & Hu, Taizhong, 2012. "Second-order expansions of the risk concentration based on CTE," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 449-456.
- Chen Zou, 2009. "Dependence structure of risk factors and diversification effects," DNB Working Papers 219, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Pavel V. Shevchenko, 2009. "Implementing Loss Distribution Approach for Operational Risk," Papers 0904.1805, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.