Subadditivity Re–Examined: the Case for Value-at-Risk
AbstractThis paper explores the potential for violations of VaR subadditivity both theoretically and by simulations, and finds that for most practical applications VaR is subadditive. Hence, there is no reason to choose a more complicated risk measure than VaR, solely for reasons of coherence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp549.
Date of creation: Nov 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
Other versions of this item:
- Jon Danielsson & Bjørn N. Jorgensen & Sarma Mandira & Gennady Samorodnitsky & C. G. de Vries, 2005. "Subadditivity re–examined: the case for value-at-risk," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24668, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
- J1 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Jón Daníelsson & Casper G. de Vries, 1998.
"Value-at-Risk and Extreme Returns,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
98-017/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Jon Danielsson & Jean-Pierre Zigrand & Bjørn N. Jorgensen & Mandira Sarma & C. G. de Vries, 2006.
"Consistent measures of risk,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24517, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Embrechts, Paul & Neslehová, Johanna & Wüthrich, Mario V., 2009. "Additivity properties for Value-at-Risk under Archimedean dependence and heavy-tailedness," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 164-169, April.
- Wagner P. Gaglianone & Luiz Renato Lima & Oliver Linton, 2008.
"Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models via Quantile Regressions,"
Working Papers Series
161, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Wagner Piazza Gaglianone & Luiz Renato Lima & Oliver Linton & Daniel R. Smith, 2011. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models via Quantile Regression," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 150-160, January.
- Gaglianone, Wagner Piazza & Lima, Luiz Renato & Linton, Oliver & Smith, Daniel R., 2011. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models via Quantile Regression," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(1), pages 150-160.
- Gaglianone, Wagner Piazza & Linton, Oliver & Lima, Luiz Renato Regis de Oliveira, 2008. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk models via Quantile regressions," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 679, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Wagner Piazza Gaglianone & Luiz Renato Lima & Oliver Linton & Daniel Smith, 2009. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk models via Quantile Regression," Economics Working Papers we094625, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Wagner Piazza Gaglianone & Luiz Renato Lima & Oliver Linton & Daniel Smith, 2010. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models via Quantile Regression," NCER Working Paper Series 67, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Dominique Guegan & Bertrand K Hassani, 2014.
"Distortion Risk Measures or the Transformation of Unimodal Distributions into Multimodal Functions,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
14008, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Dominique Guegan & Bertrand Hassani, 2014. "Distortion Risk Measures or the Transformation of Unimodal Distributions into Multimodal Functions," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00969242, HAL.
- Dirk Tasche, 2005. "Measuring sectoral diversification in an asymptotic multi-factor framework," Papers physics/0505142, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2006.
- Marie Kratz, 2013. "There is a VaR beyond usual approximations," Papers 1311.0270, arXiv.org.
- Georg Mainik & Ludger Rüschendorf, 2010. "On optimal portfolio diversification with respect to extreme risks," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 593-623, December.
- Marie Kratz, 2013. "There is a VaR Beyond Usual Approximations," Post-Print hal-00880258, HAL.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Panayotov, George, 2010. "First-passage probability, jump models, and intra-horizon risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 20-40, January.
- Genest, Christian & Gerber, Hans U. & Goovaerts, Marc J. & Laeven, Roger J.A., 2009. "Editorial to the special issue on modeling and measurement of multivariate risk in insurance and finance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 143-145, April.
- Daníelsson, Jón & Jorgensen, Bjørn N. & Samorodnitsky, Gennady & Sarma, Mandira & de Vries, Casper G., 2013. "Fat tails, VaR and subadditivity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 172(2), pages 283-291.
- Joaquin, Domingo Castelo, 2009. "Value at risk: Is a theoretically consistent axiomatic formulation possible?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 725-729, May.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M. & Yan, Shu, 2012. "When more is less: Using multiple constraints to reduce tail risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 2693-2716.
- Jaume Belles-Sampera & Montserrat Guillén & Miguel Santolino, 2013. "“Beyond Value-at-Risk: GlueVaR Distortion Risk Measures”," IREA Working Papers 201302, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Feb 2013.
- Kratz , Marie, 2013. "There is a VaR Beyond Usual Approximations," ESSEC Working Papers WP1317, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.