Can a Coherent Risk Measure Be Too Subadditive?
AbstractWe consider the problem of determining appropriate solvency capital requirements for an insurance company or a financial institution. We demonstrate that the subadditivity condition that is often imposed on solvency capital principles can lead to the undesirable situation where the shortfall risk increases by a merger. We propose to complement the subadditivity condition by a "regulator's condition". We find that for an explicitly specified confidence level, the Value-at-Risk satisfies the regulator's condition and is the "most efficient" capital requirement in the sense that it minimizes some reasonable cost function. Within the class of concave distortion risk measures, of which the elements, in contrast to the Value-at-Risk, exhibit the subadditivity property, we find that, again for an explicitly specified confidence level, the Tail-Value-at-Risk is the optimal capital requirement satisfying the regulator's condition. Copyright (c) The Journal of Risk and Insurance, 2008.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The American Risk and Insurance Association in its journal Journal of Risk & Insurance.
Volume (Year): 75 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.wiley.com/bw/journal.asp?ref=0022-4367&site=1
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Balbás, Alejandro & Balbás, Beatriz & Heras, Antonio, 2009. "Optimal reinsurance with general risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 374-384, June.
- Furman, Edward & Zitikis, Ricardas, 2008. "Weighted risk capital allocations," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 263-269, October.
- Bolance, Catalina & Guillen, Montserrat & Pelican, Elena & Vernic, Raluca, 2008. "Skewed bivariate models and nonparametric estimation for the CTE risk measure," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 386-393, December.
- Goovaerts, Marc J. & Kaas, Rob & Laeven, Roger J.A., 2010. "Decision principles derived from risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 294-302, December.
- Valdez, Emiliano A. & Dhaene, Jan & Maj, Mateusz & Vanduffel, Steven, 2009. "Bounds and approximations for sums of dependent log-elliptical random variables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 385-397, June.
- Kaas, Rob & Laeven, Roger J.A. & Nelsen, Roger B., 2009. "Worst VaR scenarios with given marginals and measures of association," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 146-158, April.
- Henryk Gzyl & Silvia Mayoral, .
"Determination of Risk Pricing Measures from Market Prices of Risk,"
Faculty Working Papers
03/07, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Gzyl, Henryk & Mayoral, Silvia, 2008. "Determination of risk pricing measures from market prices of risk," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 437-443, December.
- Dhaene, Jan & Denuit, Michel & Vanduffel, Steven, 2009. "Correlation order, merging and diversification," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 325-332, December.
- He, Kun & Hu, Mingshang & Chen, Zengjing, 2009. "The relationship between risk measures and choquet expectations in the framework of g-expectations," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(4), pages 508-512, February.
- Embrechts, Paul & Neslehová, Johanna & Wüthrich, Mario V., 2009. "Additivity properties for Value-at-Risk under Archimedean dependence and heavy-tailedness," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 164-169, April.
- Laeven, Roger J.A., 2009. "Worst VaR scenarios: A remark," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 159-163, April.
- Genest, Christian & Gerber, Hans U. & Goovaerts, Marc J. & Laeven, Roger J.A., 2009. "Editorial to the special issue on modeling and measurement of multivariate risk in insurance and finance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 143-145, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.