Pricing of Ratchet equity-indexed annuities under stochastic interest rates
AbstractWe consider the valuation of simple and compound Ratchet equity-indexed annuities (EIAs) in the presence of stochastic interest rates. We assume that the equity index follows a geometric Brownian motion and the short rate follows the extended Vasicek model. Under a given forward measure, we obtain an explicit multivariate normal characterization for multiple log-returns on the equity index. Using such a characterization, closed-form price formulas are derived for both simple and compound Ratchet EIAs. An efficient Monte Carlo simulation scheme is also established to overcome the computational difficulties resulting from the evaluation of high-dimensional multivariate normal cumulative distribution functions (CDFs) embedded in the price formulas as well as the consideration of additional complex contract features. Finally, numerical results are provided to illustrate the computational efficiency of our simulation scheme and the effects of various model and contract parameters on pricing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Insurance: Mathematics and Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nielsen, J. A. & K. Sandmann, 1995.
"The Pricing of Asian Options under Stochastic Interest Rates,"
Discussion Paper Serie B
323, University of Bonn, Germany, revised Dec 1995.
- J. A. Nielsen & K. Sandmann, 1996. "The pricing of Asian options under stochastic interest rates," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(3), pages 209-236.
- Turnbull, Stuart M. & Wakeman, Lee Macdonald, 1991. "A Quick Algorithm for Pricing European Average Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 377-389, September.
- Dahl, Mikkel, 2004. "Stochastic mortality in life insurance: market reserves and mortality-linked insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 113-136, August.
- Schrager, David F., 2006. "Affine stochastic mortality," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 81-97, February.
- Hoi Ying Wong & Ying Lok Cheung, 2004. "Geometric Asian options: valuation and calibration with stochastic volatility," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 301-314.
- Dhaene, J. & Denuit, M. & Goovaerts, M. J. & Kaas, R. & Vyncke, D., 2002. "The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance: applications," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 133-161, October.
- Alan Brace & Dariusz G�atarek & Marek Musiela, 1997. "The Market Model of Interest Rate Dynamics," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 127-155.
- Milevsky, Moshe Arye & Posner, Steven E., 1998. "Asian Options, the Sum of Lognormals, and the Reciprocal Gamma Distribution," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 409-422, September.
- Lee, Hangsuck, 2003. "Pricing equity-indexed annuities with path-dependent options," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 677-690, December.
- Qian, Linyi & Wang, Wei & Wang, Rongming & Tang, Yincai, 2010. "Valuation of equity-indexed annuity under stochastic mortality and interest rate," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 123-129, October.
- Gan, Guojun, 2013. "Application of data clustering and machine learning in variable annuity valuation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 795-801.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.