Exchange rate regimes and trade prices Does the EMS matter?
AbstractThis paper investigates the role of the exchange rate regime in the process of trade adjustment, by examining the relationship between trade prices and exchange rate regimes. The theoretical framework is a dynamic one Ã la Froot-Klemperer (1989). The empirical investigation takes advantage of the simultaneous occurrence, since 1979, of relatively stable exchange rates inside the ERM and instable rates outside to engage in a controlled experiment on the impact of the exchange rate regime on trade prices. The results suggest that a system of pegged rates like the EMS, although helpful, is not necessary to achieve a smooth process of trade adjustment. It appears that the absence of misalignment rather than the type of exchange rate regime is the crucial factor for fulfilling such an objective.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 38 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552
Other versions of this item:
- Sapir, André & Sekkat, M. Khalid, 1993. "Exchange Rate Regimes and Trade Prices: Does the EMS Matter?," CEPR Discussion Papers 810, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- André Sapir & Khalid Sekkat, 1995. "Exchange rate regimes and trade prices: does the EMS matter?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8170, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Catherine L. Mann, 1986. "Prices, profit margins, and exchange rates," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jun, pages 366-379.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul R. Krugman, 1986.
"Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchage Rate Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
2017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard & Krugman, Paul, 1989. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchange Rate Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 635-54, November.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-54, September.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1989. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," NBER Working Papers 2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mussa, Michael, 1986. "Nominal exchange rate regimes and the behavior of real exchange rates: Evidence and implications," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 117-214, January.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Adjustment costs and pricing-to-market theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 1-30, February.
- Beggs, Alan & Klemperer, Paul, 1990.
"Multi-Period Competition with Switching Costs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
436, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert Z. Lawrence, 1990. "U.S. Current Account Adjustment: An Appraisal," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(2), pages 343-392.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomène Varoudakis, 1998.
"Exchange-Rate Management and Manufactured Exports in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
134, OECD Publishing.
- Sekkat, Khalid & Varoudakis, Aristomene, 2000. "Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 237-253, February.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomene Varoudakis, 2000. "Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7342, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michel Fouquin & Nanno Mulder & Laurence Nayman & Khalid Sekkat & Joffrey Malek Mansour, 2001. "Sector Sensitivity to Exchange Rate Fluctuations," Working Papers 2001-11, CEPII research center.
- Lúcio Vinhas de Souza, 2002. "Trade Effects of Monetary Integration in Large, Mature Economies: A Primer on the European Monetary Union," Kiel Working Papers 1137, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ngongang, Elie, 2011. "Impact of Exchange Rate Policy on the Trade of Industrial Products in Sub-Saharan Africa from 1975 to 2007," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 7(1-2).
- Khalid Sekkat, 2001. "On the Aggregate Impact of Exchange Rate Variability on EU Trade," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(1), pages 57-78, 02.
- Renault, Eric & Sekkat, Khalid & Szafarz, Ariane, 1998.
"Testing for spurious causality in exchange rates,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 47-66, January.
- Irandoust, Manuchehr, 1998. "Pricing Policy in the Swedish Automobile Market," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 309-317, May.
- Kallio, Panu K.S. & Abbott, Philip C., 1998. "Export Subsidies And Switching Costs In An Imperfectly Competitive International Wheat Market," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20789, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lee, Jaewoo, 1998. "Intertemporal substitution in imported durables," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 113-133, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.