MNEs vertical linkages: The experience of Vietnam after Malaysia
AbstractKnowledge transfer from multinational corporations to local suppliers in host developing countries have been shown to be substantial and a strong contributor to the competitive upgrading of firms in host economies. Using data provided by multinational subsidiaries, this paper compares the activities of multinationals in both Malaysia and Vietnam. Malaysia is considered because its experience with foreign direct investment is long standing (compared to Vietnam) and useful recommendations can be drawn for Vietnam, allowing for the transition nature of the Vietnamese economy. The objectives of the paper are two-fold: to demonstrate the potential for knowledge transfer between multinationals and their suppliers in both Malaysia and Vietnam; and to build upon this discussion to suggest avenues for Vietnam to maximise beneficial linkages from MNEs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 16 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaus E Meyer, 2004. "Perspectives on multinational enterprises in emerging economies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 259-276, July.
- Fredrik Sjoholm, 1999.
"Technology gap, competition and spillovers from direct foreign investment: Evidence from establishment data,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 53-73.
- Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1997. "Technology Gap, Competition and Spillovers from Direct Foreign Investment: Evidence from Establishment Data," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 212, Stockholm School of Economics.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development,"
NBER Working Papers
6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- Glass, Amy Jocelyn & Saggi, Kamal, 1999.
"Multinational firms and technology transfer,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2067, The World Bank.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment, Vertical Integration, and Local Suppliers: Evidence from the Polish Dairy Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1525-1544, September.
- Kugler, Maurice, 2006.
"Spillovers from foreign direct investment: Within or between industries?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 444-477, August.
- Maurice Kugler, 2006. "Spillovers From Foreign Direct Investment:Within Or Between Industries?," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003523, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Maurice Kugler, . "Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment: Within or between Industries?," Borradores de Economia 369, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Lim, Linda Y. C. & Fong, Pang Eng, 1982. "Vertical linkages and multinational enterprises in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(7), pages 585-595, July.
- Kelegama, Saman & Foley, Fritz, 1999. "Impediments to Promoting Backward Linkages from the Garment Industry in Sri Lanka," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1445-1460, August.
- Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2001. "Multinational Companies and Productivity Spillovers: A Meta-analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(475), pages F723-39, November.
- Ivarsson, Inge & Alvstam, Claes Goran, 2005. "Technology transfer from TNCs to local suppliers in developing countries: A study of AB Volvo's truck and bus plants in Brazil, China, India, and Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1325-1344, August.
- Beata K. Smarzynska, 2003.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers through Backward Linkages,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
548, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2004. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers Through Backward Linkages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 605-627, June.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2002. "Does foreign direct investment increase the productivity of domestic firms : in search of spillovers through backward linkages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2923, The World Bank.
- Rajneesh Narula & John Dunning, 2000. "Industrial Development, Globalization and Multinational Enterprises: New Realities for Developing Countries," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 141-167.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2002. "The Central Role of Entrepreneurs in Transition Economies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 153-170, Summer.
- Awuah, Gabriel B., 1997. "Promoting infant industries in less developed countries (LDCs): A network approach to analyse the impact of the exchange relationships between multinational companies and their indigenous suppliers in," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 71-87, February.
- Mike Crone & Stephen Roper, 2001. "Local Learning from Multinational Plants: Knowledge Transfers in the Supply Chain," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 535-548.
- Jochen Lorentzen & Peter M�llgaard & Matija Rojec, 2003. "Host-country Absorption of Technology: Evidence from Automotive Supply Networks in Eastern Europe," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 415-432.
- Belderbos, Rene & Capannelli, Giovanni & Fukao, Kyoji, 2001. "Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 189-208, January.
- McAleese, Dermot & McDonald, Donogh, 1978. "Employment Growth and the Development of Linkages in Foreign-Owned and Domestic Manufacturing Enterprises," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 40(4), pages 321-39, November.
- Elisa Giuliani & Chiara Macchi, 2013. "Multinational Corporations’ Economic And Human Rights Impacts On Developing Countries: A Review And Research Agenda," Discussion Papers 2013/158, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Merlevede, Bruno & Schoors, Koen & Spatareanu , Mariana, 2013. "FDI spillovers and time since foreign entry," BOFIT Discussion Papers 27/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Jutta Günther & Johannes Stephan & Björn Jindra, 2008.
"Foreign Subsidiaries in the East German Innovation System - Evidence from Manufacturing Industries,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 59(Supplemen), pages 137-172.
- Jutta Günther & Björn Jindra & Johannes Stephan, 2008. "Foreign Subsidiaries in the East German Innovation System – Evidence from Manufacturing Industries," IWH Discussion Papers 4, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Gammelgaard, Jens & McDonald, Frank & Stephan, Andreas & Tüselmann, Heinz & Dörrenbächer, Christoph, 2012. "The impact of increases in subsidiary autonomy and network relationships on performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1158-1172.
- Simona, Gentile-Lüdecke & Axèle, Giroud, 2012. "Knowledge Transfer from TNCs and Upgrading of Domestic Firms: The Polish Automotive Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 796-807.
- Anwar, Sajid & Sun, Sizhong, 2012. "FDI and market entry/exit: Evidence from China," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 487-498.
- Anwar, Sajid & Nguyen, Lan Phi, 2011. "Foreign direct investment and trade: The case of Vietnam," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 39-52, January.
- Chrysovalantou Milliou & Apostolis Pavlou, 2014. "Foreign Direct Investment Modes and Local Backward Linkages," CESifo Working Paper Series 4623, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wu Zhan & Roger Chen & M. Erramilli & Duc Nguyen, 2009. "Acquisition of organizational capabilities and competitive advantage of IJVs in transition economies: The case of Vietnam," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 285-308, June.
- Jindra, Björn & Giroud, Axèle & Scott-Kennel, Joanna, 2009. "Subsidiary roles, vertical linkages and economic development: Lessons from transition economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 167-179, April.
- Gold, Stefan & Hahn, Rüdiger & Seuring, Stefan, 2013. "Sustainable supply chain management in “Base of the Pyramid” food projects—A path to triple bottom line approaches for multinationals?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 784-799.
- Anwar, Sajid & Nguyen, Lan Phi, 2011. "Foreign direct investment and export spillovers: Evidence from Vietnam," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 177-193, April.
- Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd & Smeets, Roger & Zwinkels, Remco, 2008. "The impact of horizontal and vertical FDI on host's country economic growth," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 452-472, August.
- Amendolagine, Vito & Boly, Amadou & Coniglio, Nicola Daniele & Prota, Francesco & Seric, Adnan, 2013. "FDI and Local Linkages in Developing Countries: Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 41-56.
- Hamida, Lamia Ben, 2013. "Are there regional spillovers from FDI in the Swiss manufacturing industry?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 754-769.
- Ben Hamida, Lamia & Gugler, Philippe, 2009. "Are there demonstration-related spillovers from FDI?: Evidence from Switzerland," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 494-508, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.