Flights and contagion--An empirical analysis of stock-bond correlations
AbstractThis paper analyzes the existence of flights from stocks to bonds and vice versa. We propose a definition and a test for flight-to-quality, flight-from-quality and cross-asset contagion and examine their characteristics and effects for the financial system. The empirical analysis for eight developed countries including the US, the UK, Germany and Japan shows that flights exist and are a common feature in many crises episodes. Our findings also reveal that flights are not merely country-specific events but occur simultaneously across countries. This indicates that there is a link between the occurrence of flights and cross-country contagion. Moreover, we show that flights enhance the resiliency of the financial markets by providing diversification benefits in times when they are needed most.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Stability.
Volume (Year): 5 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jfstabil
Flight-to-quality Flight-from-quality Cross-asset contagion Cross-country contagion Multivariate GARCH Panel regression;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012.
"No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality,"
Working Papers CEB
12-010, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Brière, Marie & Chapelle, Ariane & Szafarz, Ariane, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1729-1744.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2008. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," DULBEA Working Papers 08-22.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012. "No Contagion, only Globalization and Flight to Quality," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/149092, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Szafarz, Ariane & Chapelle, Ariane & Brière, Marie, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7746, Paris Dauphine University.
- Nektarios Aslanidis & Charlotte Christiansen, 2010.
"Smooth Transition Patterns in the Realized Stock Bond Correlation,"
CREATES Research Papers
2010-15, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Aslanidis, Nektarios & Christiansen, Charlotte, 2011. "Smooth Transition Patterns in the Realized Stock- Bond Correlation," Working Papers 2072/152138, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Robert Engle & Michael Fleming & Eric Ghysels & Giang Nguyen, 2012. "Liquidity, volatility, and flights to safety in the U.S. treasury market: evidence from a new class of dynamic order book models," Staff Reports 590, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Roberto Meurer, 2011. "Measuring the impact of financial flows on macroeconomic variables: the case of Brazil after the 2008 crisis," Working Papers 0117, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
- Cheong, Siew Ann & Fornia, Robert Paulo & Lee, Gladys Hui Ting & Kok, Jun Liang & Yim, Woei Shyr & Xu, Danny Yuan & Zhang, Yiting, 2012. "The Japanese economy in crises: A time series segmentation study," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(5), pages 1-81.
- Rodrigo César de Castro Miranda & Benjamin Miranda Tabak & Mauricio Medeiros Junior, 2012. "Contagion in CDS, Banking and Equity Markets," Working Papers Series 293, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Eric Girardin & Dijun Tan & Woon K. Wong, 2010. "Information Content of Order Flow and Cross-market Portfolio Rebalancing: Evidence for the Chinese Stock, Treasury and Corporate Bond Markets," Working Papers 022010, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Dimitris A. Georgoutsos & Petros Migiakis, 2012.
"Heterogeneity of the determinants of euro-area sovereign bond spreads; what does it tell us about financial stability?,"
143, Bank of Greece.
- Georgoutsos, Dimitris A. & Migiakis, Petros M., 2013. "Heterogeneity of the determinants of euro-area sovereign bond spreads; what does it tell us about financial stability?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4650-4664.
- Goedde-Menke, Michael & Langer, Thomas & Pfingsten, Andreas, 2014. "Impact of the financial crisis on bank run risk – Danger of the days after," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 522-533.
- Alexandros Kontonikas & Ronald MacDonald & Aman Saggu, 2012.
"Stock market reaction to fed funds rate surprises: state dependence and the financial crisis,"
2012_11, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Kontonikas, Alexandros & MacDonald, Ronald & Saggu, Aman, 2013. "Stock market reaction to fed funds rate surprises: State dependence and the financial crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4025-4037.
- Dimitrios P. Louzis, 2013. "Measuring return and volatility spillovers in euro area financial markets," Working Papers 154, Bank of Greece.
- Nofsinger, John R., 2012. "Household behavior and boom/bust cycles," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 161-173.
- Wolfgang Bessler & Julian Holler & Philipp Kurmann, 2012. "Hedge funds and optimal asset allocation: Bayesian expectations and spanning tests," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 109-141, March.
- Takashi Miyazaki & Yuki Toyoshima & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2012. "Exploring the dynamic interdependence between gold and other financial markets," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(1), pages 37-50.
- Kemper, Kris & Lee, Allissa & Simkins, Betty J., 2012. "Diversification revisited," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 304-316.
- Johansson, Anders C., 2010. "Stock and Bond Relationships in Asia," Working Paper Series 2010-14, China Economic Research Center, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Chan, Kam Fong & Treepongkaruna, Sirimon & Brooks, Robert & Gray, Stephen, 2011. "Asset market linkages: Evidence from financial, commodity and real estate assets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1415-1426, June.
- Cheong, Siew Ann & Fornia, Robert Paulo & Lee, Gladys Hui Ting & Kok, Jun Liang & Yim, Woei Shyr & Xu, Danny Yuan & Zhang, Yiting, 2011. "The Japanese economy in crises: A time series segmentation study," Economics Discussion Papers 2011-24, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.