Market integration in developed and emerging markets: Evidence from the CAPM
AbstractBeta, as measured by the Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM), is widely used for pricing stocks, determining the cost of capital, and gauging the extent to which markets are integrated. The CAPM model assumes that equilibrium conditions prevail. The choice of which market portfolio to use in the regression - the home country or global index - depends on the level of global market integration. We present several new empirical observations on the pricing of stocks and market integration. We provide guidance on how practitioners should calculate beta on securities in various developed and emerging markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Emerging Markets Review.
Volume (Year): 9 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620356
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koedijk, Kees & Kool, Clemens J. M. & Schotman, Peter C & Van Dijk, Mathijs A, 2001.
"The Cost of Capital in International Financial Markets: Local or Global,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3062, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Koedijk, Kees G. & Kool, Clemens J. M. & Schotman, Peter C. & van Dijk, Mathijs A., 2002. "The cost of capital in international financial markets: local or global?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 905-929, November.
- Mishra, Dev R & O'Brien, Thomas J, 2001. "A Comparison of Cost of Equity Estimates of Local and Global CAPMs," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 27-47, November.
- Mishra, Dev R. & O'Brien, Thomas J., 2005. "Risk and ex ante cost of equity estimates of emerging market firms," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 107-120, June.
- Robert S. Harris & Felicia C. Marston & Dev R. Mishra & Thomas J. O’Brien, 2003. "Ex Ante Cost of Equity Estimates of S&P 500 Firms: The Choice Between Global and Domestic CAPM," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 32(3), Fall.
- Rene M. Stulz, 1994. "International Portfolio Choice and Asset Pricing: An Integrative Survey," NBER Working Papers 4645, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bodnar, Gordon & Dumas, Bernard & Marston, Richard, 2003.
"Cross-Border Valuation: The International Cost of Equity Capital,"
03-3, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & Bernard Dumas & Richard D. Marston, 2003. "Cross-Border Valuation: The International Cost of Equity Capital," NBER Working Papers 10115, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Engle, Robert F & Lilien, David M & Robins, Russell P, 1987. "Estimating Time Varying Risk Premia in the Term Structure: The Arch-M Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 391-407, March.
- Harvey, Campbell R, 1991. " The World Price of Covariance Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 111-57, March.
- de los Rios, Antonio Diez, 2009.
"Exchange rate regimes, globalisation, and the cost of capital in emerging markets,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 311-330, December.
- Antonio Díez de los Ríos, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Globalisation and the Cost of Capital in Emerging Markets," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2003/51, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Antonio Diez de los Rios, 2004. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Globalisation And The Cost Of Capital In Emerging Markets," Working Papers wp2004_02, CEMFI.
- Antonio Diez de los Rios, 2007. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Globalisation, and the Cost of Capital in Emerging Markets," Working Papers 07-29, Bank of Canada.
- Frijns, Bart & Tourani-Rad, Alireza & Indriawan, Ivan, 2012. "Political crises and the stock market integration of emerging markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 644-653.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.