Dual long memory property in returns and volatility: Evidence from the CEE countries' stock markets
AbstractThis paper investigates the presence of long memory in the eight Central and Eastern European (CEE) countries' stock market, using the ARFIMA, GPH, FIGARCH and HYGARCH models. The data set consists of daily returns, and long memory tests are carried out both for the returns and volatilities of these series. The results of the ARFIMA and GPH models indicate the existence of long memory in five of eight return series. The results also suggest that long memory dynamics in the returns and volatility might be modeled by using the ARFIMA-FIGARCH and ARFIMA-HYGARCH models. The results of these models indicate strong evidence of long memory both in conditional mean and conditional variance. Moreover, the ARFIMA-FIGARCH model provides the better out-of-sample forecast for the sampled stock markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Emerging Markets Review.
Volume (Year): 10 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620356
ARFIMA FIGARCH Long memory CEEC's stock markets;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ng, Andrew Cheuk-Yin & Li, Johnny Siu-Hang & Chan, Wai-Sum, 2011. "Modeling investment guarantees in Japan: A risk-neutral GARCH approach," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 20-26, January.
- Rafik Nazarian & Esmaeil Naderi & Nadiya G. Alikhani & Ashkan Amiri, 2014. "Long Memory Analysis: An Empirical Investigation," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 4(1), pages 16-26.
- Guidi, Francesco & Ugur, Mehmet, 2012. "Are South East Europe stock markets integrated with regional and global stock markets?," MPRA Paper 44133, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2012.
- Mohamed Chikhi & Anne Péguin-Feissolle & Michel Terraza, 2012.
"SEMIFARMA-HYGARCH Modeling of Dow Jones Return Persistence,"
AMSE Working Papers
1214, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Mohamed Chikhi & Anne Péguin-Feissolle & Michel Terraza, 2013. "SEMIFARMA-HYGARCH Modeling of Dow Jones Return Persistence," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 41(2), pages 249-265, February.
- Mohamed Chikhi & Anne Peguin-Feissolle & Michel Terraza, 2012. "SEMIFARMA-HYGARCH Modeling of Dow Jones Return Persistence," Working Papers halshs-00793203, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.