Controlling for supplier switching in the presence of real options and asymmetric information
AbstractApplying a real option approach, this paper examines how asymmetric information alters key variables of a firm’s supplier switching process, such as the timing of contracting (hurried versus delayed contracting), transfer payments, set-up, switching, and abandonment decisions. In a symmetric information setting, delayed contracting is unambiguously beneficial. Abandoning the once established relation with the entrant supplier is never an issue. In contrast, under asymmetric information hurried contracting with potentially abandoning the relation can be beneficial. Consistent with adverse selection models, we find that under delayed contracting, in equilibrium, the firm switches less frequently to the entrant supplier (switching inertia). Surprisingly, we also find that under hurried contracting the firm switches more frequently to the entrant supplier (switching acceleration) and may abandon the relation. Finally, we study how these key variables of the supplier switching process change when also the incumbent supplier has private information (two-sided asymmetric information case).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 223 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Supplier switching; Supply chain contracts; Information asymmetry; Real options;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven R. Grenadier & Neng Wang, 2005.
"Investment Timing, Agency, and Information,"
NBER Working Papers
11148, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wu, D. J. & Kleindorfer, P. R. & Zhang, Jin E., 2002. "Optimal bidding and contracting strategies for capital-intensive goods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(3), pages 657-676, March.
- Degraeve, Zeger & Labro, Eva & Roodhooft, Filip, 2000. "An evaluation of vendor selection models from a total cost of ownership perspective," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 34-58, August.
- Thomas Pfeiffer & Georg Schneider, 2007. "Residual Income-Based Compensation Plans for Controlling Investment Decisions Under Sequential Private Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(3), pages 495-507, March.
- Charles J. Corbett & Xavier de Groote, 2000. "A Supplier's Optimal Quantity Discount Policy Under Asymmetric Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 444-450, March.
- Özalp Özer & Wei Wei, 2006. "Strategic Commitments for an Optimal Capacity Decision Under Asymmetric Forecast Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(8), pages 1238-1257, August.
- Charles J. Corbett & Deming Zhou & Christopher S. Tang, 2004. "Designing Supply Contracts: Contract Type and Information Asymmetry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(4), pages 550-559, April.
- Myerson, Roger B, 1979.
"Incentive Compatibility and the Bargaining Problem,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 61-73, January.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1977. "Incentive Compatability and the Bargaining Problem," Discussion Papers 284, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 2005. "Supply Chain Coordination with Revenue-Sharing Contracts: Strengths and Limitations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 30-44, January.
- Weber, Charles A. & Current, John R. & Benton, W. C., 1991. "Vendor selection criteria and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 2-18, January.
- Arya, Anil & Mittendorf, Brian, 2010. "Input Markets and the Strategic Organization of the Firm," Foundations and Trends(R) in Accounting, now publishers, vol. 5(1), pages 1-97, December.
- Ozer, Ozalp & Uncu, Onur & Wei, Wei, 2007. "Selling to the "Newsvendor" with a forecast update: Analysis of a dual purchase contract," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(3), pages 1150-1176, November.
- McIvor, Ronan, 2008. "What is the right outsourcing strategy for your process," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 24-34, February.
- Terry A. Taylor, 2006. "Sale Timing in a Supply Chain: When to Sell to the Retailer," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 8(1), pages 23-42, November.
- Wagner, Stephan M. & Friedl, Gunther, 2007. "Supplier switching decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(2), pages 700-717, December.
- Pfeiffer, Thomas, 2010. "A dynamic model of supplier switching," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(2), pages 697-710, December.
- Ernst, Ricardo & Kamrad, Bardia & Ord, Keith, 2007. "Delivery performance in vendor selection decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 534-541, January.
- Antle, Rick & Bogetoft, Peter & Stark, Andrew W., 2001.
"Information systems, incentives and the timing of investments,"
Journal of Accounting and Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4-5), pages 267-294.
- Antle, Rick & Bogetoft, Peter & Stark, Andrew W., 2000. "Information Systems, Incentives and the Timing of Investment," Unit of Economics Working papers 24201, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Li, Shanling & Murat, Alper & Huang, Wanzhen, 2009. "Selection of contract suppliers under price and demand uncertainty in a dynamic market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(3), pages 830-847, November.
- Wei Shi Lim, 2001. "Producer-Supplier Contracts with Incomplete Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(5), pages 709-715, May.
- Zhao, Yingxue & Wang, Shouyang & Cheng, T.C.E. & Yang, Xiaoqi & Huang, Zhimin, 2010. "Coordination of supply chains by option contracts: A cooperative game theory approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(2), pages 668-675, December.
- Lin, Zhibing & Cai, Chen & Xu, Baoguang, 2010. "Supply chain coordination with insurance contract," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 205(2), pages 339-345, September.
- Stanley Baiman & Paul E. Fischer & Madhav V. Rajan, 2000. "Information, Contracting, and Quality Costs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(6), pages 776-789, June.
- Frascatore, Mark R. & Mahmoodi, Farzad, 2008. "Long-term and penalty contracts in a two-stage supply chain with stochastic demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(1), pages 147-156, January.
- Ho, William & Xu, Xiaowei & Dey, Prasanta K., 2010. "Multi-criteria decision making approaches for supplier evaluation and selection: A literature review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(1), pages 16-24, April.
- Corbett, Charles J. & DeCroix, Gregory A. & Ha, Albert Y., 2005. "Optimal shared-savings contracts in supply chains: Linear contracts and double moral hazard," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 163(3), pages 653-667, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.