An integrated fuzzy simulation-fuzzy data envelopment analysis algorithm for job-shop layout optimization: The case of injection process with ambiguous data
AbstractThis paper puts forward an integrated fuzzy simulation-fuzzy data envelopment analysis (FSFDEA) algorithm to cope with a special case of single-row facility layout problem (SRFLP). Discrete-event-simulation, a powerful tool for analyzing complex and stochastic systems, is employed for modeling different layout formations. Afterwards, a range-adjusted measure (RAM) is used as a data envelopment analysis (DEA) model for ranking the simulation results and finding the optimal layout design. Due to ambiguousness associated with the processing times, fuzzy sets theory is incorporated into the simulation model. Since the results of simulation are in the form of possibility distributions, the DEA model is treated on a fuzzy basis; therefore, a recent possibilistic programming approach is used to convert the fuzzy DEA model to an equivalent crisp one. The proposed FSFDEA algorithm is capable of modeling and optimizing small-sized SRFLP's in stochastic, uncertain, and non-linear environments. The solution quality is inspected through a real case study in a refrigerator manufacturing company.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 214 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Single-row facility layout problem Discrete-event-simulation Data envelopment analysis Fuzzy sets Possibilistic programming;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jimenez, Mariano & Arenas, Mar & Bilbao, Amelia & Rodri'guez, M. Victoria, 2007. "Linear programming with fuzzy parameters: An interactive method resolution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1599-1609, March.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Goto, Mika, 2011. "Measurement of Returns to Scale and Damages to Scale for DEA-based operational and environmental assessment: How to manage desirable (good) and undesirable (bad) outputs?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(1), pages 76-89, May.
- B. Hollingsworth & P. Smith, 2003. "Use of ratios in data envelopment analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(11), pages 733-735.
- Ravi Kumar, K. & Hadjinicola, George C. & Lin, Ting-li, 1995. "A heuristic procedure for the single-row facility layout problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 65-73, November.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2002. "Modeling undesirable factors in efficiency evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 16-20, October.
- Hatami-Marbini, Adel & Emrouznejad, Ali & Tavana, Madjid, 2011.
"A taxonomy and review of the fuzzy data envelopment analysis literature: Two decades in the making,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 214(3), pages 457-472, November.
- HATAMI-MARBINI, Adel & EMROUZNEJAD, Ali & TAVANA, Madjid, . "A taxonomy and review of the fuzzy data envelopment analysis literature: two decades in the making," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2367, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Watanabe, Michio & Tanaka, Katsuya, 2007. "Efficiency analysis of Chinese industry: A directional distance function approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6323-6331, December.
- Samarghandi, Hamed & Eshghi, Kourosh, 2010. "An efficient tabu algorithm for the single row facility layout problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 205(1), pages 98-105, August.
- Azadeh, Ali & Rahimi-Golkhandan, Armin & Moghaddam, Mohsen, 2014. "Location optimization of wind power generation–transmission systems under uncertainty using hierarchical fuzzy DEA: A case study," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 877-885.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.